Ive never wormed my chickens

Quote:
This fella knows his stuff. I'd give what he says a lot of weight. No, I'm not kidding. There is absolutely no evidence that any "natural" or "organic" wormer works other than anecdotal. In fact I've read plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Amen! Dawg53 knows his stuff.

Quote:
Did you actually check the birds after you dosed them?
I did a little 'test' with Eprinex with some birds I got recently who had lice. I double-dosed them (a full cc topically), waited 24 hrs and they were still crawling with lice. Waited an additional 24 hrs and checked-still crawling with lice. So I gave up and dipped them with 1/2 strength prolate & gave safeguard paste like I normally do. I don't trust the stuff & sure don't trust it for worms either now. People swear by it but then when you pin them down and ask them if they specifically checked closely afterwards you find they didn't check;. They just assumed it worked because "every says it works".

Quote:
I did a little 'test' with Eprinex with some birds I got recently who had lice. I double-dosed them (a full cc topically), waited 24 hrs and they were still crawling with lice. Waited an additional 24 hrs and checked-still crawling with lice. So I gave up and dipped them with 1/2 strength prolate & gave safeguard paste like I normally do. I don't trust the stuff & sure don't trust it for worms either now. People swear by it but then when you pin them down and ask them if they specifically checked closely afterwards you find they didn't check;. They just assumed it worked because "every says it works".

Yes, the ones I checked were free of lice.

Is safeguard strictly a wormer? How long is the egg withdrawal time?

Quote:

Yes, it'll kill all but tapes. They need re-dosed about a week later. No one can say what withdrawal time is as it's not labeled for poultry. I eat the eggs no matter what I worm with. There's no grave danger that's going to befall you if you eat eggs from a chicken that's been wormed.

Quote:

Yes, it'll kill all but tapes. They need re-dosed about a week later. No one can say what withdrawal time is as it's not labeled for poultry. I eat the eggs no matter what I worm with. There's no grave danger that's going to befall you if you eat eggs from a chicken that's been wormed.

Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal after last dosing of wormers except eprinex. There is wormer residue in the eggs. You dont want to feed the eggs back to your chickens, it will extend the withdrawal period as well as help build worm resistance to that particular wormer. Eprinex and ivermectin are practically ineffective against cecal worms, large roundworms have shown some resistance as well in chickens. I've stopped using both. Both are still good for treating mites, but not lice. Whether you want to eat eggs or not after worming is a personal choice. I prefer to toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days after the second dosing.

I agree with Dawg, I toss the eggs. Why? Because I have had severe allergic reactions to many, MANY medications.

In fact, just this past week I was fitted with hearing aids. A few months ago my doctor prescribed a med. that I had a severe reaction to and it cost me my hearing. The med. has a 1% chance of causing hearing impairment and I am that 1%.
hmm.png
I don't take chances. Safer to toss the eggs; especially since I sell eggs and I have no way of knowing what my egg customers are or are not allergic to.

Last edited:
Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal after last dosing of wormers except eprinex. There is wormer residue in the eggs. You dont want to feed the eggs back to your chickens, it will extend the withdrawal period as well as help build worm resistance to that particular wormer. Eprinex and ivermectin are practically ineffective against cecal worms, large roundworms have shown some resistance as well in chickens. I've stopped using both. Both are still good for treating mites, but not lice. Whether you want to eat eggs or not after worming is a personal choice. I prefer to toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days after the second dosing.

Are there any drawbacks/side effects to dosing your flock? If you are not sure if they have worms, have never seen any in the poop?

Are there any drawbacks/side effects to dosing your flock? If you are not sure if they have worms, have never seen any in the poop?
Yes, the side effects are a healthy parasite free/disease free chicken with little or no damage to its innards. When you see worms in poop, it only means they are infested and have no other place to go but on the rear end.

Last edited:
I had to find this after what happened to Ruby, i will deffentley be worming my hens regualary now. Ive learned my lesson. F**k Gape worms. Killed my baby, look how ill they made her

Back
Top Bottom