I've read this a thousand times...

I think it states that chickens may not be kept in the city limits, but then makes an exception for pet chickens.

Here are the bits I think are relevant:

2-109. KEEPING ANIMALS. It shall be unlawful for the owner, lessee, occupant or person in charge of any premises in the city to possess and maintain any animal or fowl within the city [...] This provision shall not apply to:
(c) The maintaining of non-poisonous and non-vicious animals and fowl which are commonly kept as household pets, such as...

By specifically making an exception for FOWL kept as household pets, they are allowing pet chickens.

"Fowl means all animals that are included in the zoological class ayes, which shall include, but not limited to, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas and pigeons."

I'm sure they meant class "aves," not "ayes," but the big point I see is that they LISTED chickens as fowl, and then made an exception to ALLOW fowl.

So I think that yes, you could have chickens as long as they don't make too much noise, or stink, or bite anyone, or run at large, or any of the other things they mention that animals aren't allowed to do.

Last edited:
I think it states that chickens may not be kept in the city limits, but then makes an exception for pet chickens.

Here are the bits I think are relevant:

2-109. KEEPING ANIMALS. It shall be unlawful for the owner, lessee, occupant or person in charge of any premises in the city to possess and maintain any animal or fowl within the city [...] This provision shall not apply to:
(c) The maintaining of non-poisonous and on-vicious animals and fowl which are commonly kept as household pets, such as...

By specifically making an exception for FOWL kept as household pets, they are allowing pet chickens.

"Fowl means all animals that are included in the zoological class ayes, which shall include, but not limited to, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas and pigeons."

I'm sure they meant class "aves," not "ayes," but the big point I see is that they LISTED chickens as fowl, and then made an exception to ALLOW fowl.

So I think that yes, you could have chickens as long as they don't make too much noise, or stink, or bite anyone, or run at large, or any of the other things they mention that animals aren't allowed to do.
I agree, a tidy, small cute area would be perfect, nothing huge, annoying or ugly that may disturb neighbors.

I agree, a tidy, small cute area would be perfect, nothing huge, annoying or ugly that may disturb neighbors.
2-107 (d) I forgot to add.

Screenshot_20210301-203151_Drive.jpg

It’s the nuisance/noise section that has the most potential to bite you in the butt. Nuisance statutes tend to be interpreted pretty broadly— even if all of your current neighbors are chicken lovers, if someone new moves in, or if someone’s allergies get worse, or if someone starts working nights and the clucking becomes bothersome... any reason really. All they’d have to do is call the city & make a complaint and you’ll be cited.

You’ll also want to be really sure that any enclosure is built taking into account all “set backs” imposed in your city or county. Sometimes, there are rules for how close things can be placed to your property lines, or how far a structure needs to be from your house, your property line, and your neighbor’s house, etc.

Oh and definitely check on county restrictions, because sometimes a city won’t spell things out if there’s already county restrictions in place... no sense reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Lastly, your chickens will have to stay in a run, or have their wings kept clipped... if one of your hens decides to fly over the fence and somehow pecks the neighbor or their kid, you will be subject to “animal-at-large” penalties, and could even end up being sued.

Whatever you do, don’t count on “some lady answering phones says her neighbor has chickens.”

It's a stretch. My chicks are pets, but not household pets and certainly wouldn't be considered common household pets.
I agree that chickens as "common household pets" is a bit of a stretch--but they said "fowl," and their own definition of fowl specifically mentioned chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and so forth.

Chickens have become more common as pets in recent years, sort of like how miniature pigs came to be considered pets. (But I think chickens make better pets than pigs of any size ;) )

What you could do, (but most people don't like the idea of) is not have a coop, but keep the chickens in your house at night. Make them a run to be in during the day, and your set.
You could do a trampoline run, then it will look like a trampoline not a chicken run. You can also use old kids plastic play houses, same idea as the trampoline.
Or, you could buy/build a tidy run for them that is neat and nice to look at for the day time.
Then maybe they can be considered "house hold pets"? :confused:

What you could do, (but most people don't like the idea of) is not have a coop, but keep the chickens in your house at night. Make them a run to be in during the day, and your set.
You could do a trampoline run, then it will look like a trampoline not a chicken run. You can also use old kids plastic play houses, same idea as the trampoline.
Or, you could buy/build a tidy run for them that is neat and nice to look at for the day time.
Then maybe they can be considered "house hold pets"? :confused:
Keeping a place for them inside would show household- it's the common part that gives me concern.

Back
Top Bottom