Ivermectin and egg withdrawal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by This_chicks_place, Jan 25, 2012.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello everyone. I have a question...if I put ivermectin on the backs of my girls for lice/mites is there still an egg withdrawal time? I think one of my girls might have feather mites as most of her back is bare even though she has been wearing an apron for over a month and it has gotten worse since I put it on her. [​IMG] I haven't seen any little critters, but I can't believe the rooster could cause all this feather damage/loss with an apron on her. I know there is a withdrawal time if used internally for worms, just wasn't sure about the external application. Any thoughts?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes there is a withdrawal time suggested...I think it is 14 days....but why treat them unless you see either mites or lice? Lay the chicken on its side and look up under the feathers around the vent and underbelly. Look fast the mites will be brown or straw colored and will move fast. Lice are slower moving little dots and they cluster around the shafts of the feathers. I will tell you also that I eat the eggs when I use ivomec pour on....but then I am older and not of childbearing age (thank goodness)!
    sharon

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's a recommended 14 day withdrawal period. You still have to treat the inside of their house/nests, sevin dust is best, repeat dusting it 10 days later.

1 person likes this.
  4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thank you for your replys. All the info from this community is the best!!

5. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    great info. with a question

once you treat with ivermec and dust coops do you redo doth ivermec on the bird and dusting of the coop in 10 days or just the coop?
    thanks

6. squig2

squig2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    michigan
    repeat in 3-4 weeks with iver. will want to give vita/electro/probiotic after each treatment

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by