Ivermectin and Mites

lostfan1

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
I have one older chicken she is now my pet. She has mites and my latest check she still had some. Her last treatment consisted of Ivermectin pour on cattle. I put 4 or 5 drops on her skin down her back and i cleaned out coop and used LD-44Z in coop. That was Sunday night. I checked her last night and I still see some. When can I reapply or do you have any other suggestions?

I mix poultry powder with wood ash in a cat litter box , sit down with the chicken between my knees ( with a mask on me) sit them in litter box, take a handful and work it into their vent , under wings and down their back ,

Let them shake and away they go ,
The more you get on them the better , mine are totally white :)

Do it again in a week or two? The mites eggs hatch and can infest them again then.

My friend give ivermectin orally but I don't know the dosage..
The max oral dose using the 1% injectable is ~0.05ml per pound.

The OP has the pour on which *cannot* be given orally. Max pour on dose is ~0.1 ml per pound of body weight. Give topically, never orally.

The max pour on dose for a five pound chicken is 0.5 ml (1/2 cc or ml).

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
I have one older chicken she is now my pet. She has mites and my latest check she still had some. Her last treatment consisted of Ivermectin pour on cattle. I put 4 or 5 drops on her skin down her back and i cleaned out coop and used LD-44Z in coop. That was Sunday night. I checked her last night and I still see some. When can I reapply or do you have any other suggestions?
Sorry you are having trouble with mites. :hugs
If you are in the US I would suggest treating her and her coop with permethrin spray. If it's cold where you are, use permethrin dust on her and spray in the coop.

If you want to use the ivermectin again that's okay too, but this time make sure you use enough. The minimum effective dose for a five pound hen is ~0.25 ml and the max dose is 0.5 ml.

This is what I use:
spray_bottle_1.png gordons_spray_tsc_1.png dust_2.jpg dust_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom