Ivermectin (Cattle pour on, 5mg/ml) for chickens with stick fast fleas?

JoH

Hatching
Jan 28, 2020
Hi, I'm brand new on this forum, and glad to be here.

I have a bin chicken (wild Ibis) problem with my free range chickens. They come in when the weather gets hot every year, and soon after there's an outbreak of stick fast fleas. It's quite bad this year. The chickens do have a concrete floor, but they also have access to soil throughout their run, so I will have to use some chemical intervention because it is so bad this year.

I have much to learn, but am a relatively old hand and know something of the other means of dealing with the fleas, re: DE, Vaseline, maldison, hygiene routines, etc, and would really appreciate on topic advice about Ivermectin (cattle pour on 5mg/ml).

After a lot of internet research, I was able to obtain some Ivermectin. Old posts in this forum suggest this concentration should be applied to the back of the bird's neck at a rate of 4-6 drops from a standard eye dropper, depending on the size of the chicken.

I would really appreciate advice from folks with experience with Ivermectin and stick fast fleas. I do also have maldison. I don't usually resort to chemical usage lightly, so I'd appreciate advice taking into account that the problem is really bad this year and could affect the girls' health quite quickly in the heat of summer (Australia).

Thanks so much!

:)
Thank you!

I've heard the Ivermectin kills the fleas, but that they don't fall off. Are you able to tell me what strength you used and whether you're sure they were not dead?

I've was researching to find something I could do without dipping the chickens, and Ivermectin can be dosed on dozy birds at night before the much bigger job of treating the yard and cleaning the coop/nesting boxes begins.

I won't use it if it doesn't work, though...just checking your doses because others say it works, and it would be a lot easier to use on the muscovy ducks too.

Back
Top Bottom