Ivermectin "die off"?

Lumenflower

Chirping
Aug 9, 2018
Hello. I have a flock I'm trying to treat for scaly leg mites, and the Vaseline method has not been feasible for me, so I want to try the pour-on ivermectin method.

However, these chickens have not been wormed. I saw someone saying that giving ivermectin to chickens who have a high worm burden could cause dangerous effects as the worms die. Is there truth to this? Do I need to deworm before I use the ivermectin?

It's true that Ivermectin is one of the more harsher wormers and can result in a rapid die-off of internal parasites that can cause shock and digestive problems. A gentle wormer such as Safeguard is a wiser choice if you suspect a heavy worm load. (Search for symptoms of heavy worm load)

But treating with Ivermectin for leg mites can also take care of any internal parasites at the same time, so it makes sense to go ahead with it while preparing the chickens to weather possible shock and constipation.

You can do this by giving electrolytes prior and following treatment and coconut oil mixed into their food before and following treatment to "grease" the digestive tract to more easily move the dead worms though. Molasses mixed into the drinking water at a ratio of a teaspoon to a cup of water following treatment will encourage the intestines to be more vigorous at moving the worms through and out of the digestive system.

Thank you so much for the info.

If I end up discovering they have symptoms of high worm count and I decide to worm with safeguard how long should I wait before I do ivermectin?

And if I don't use the safeguard, how long should I continue the supportive measures like electrolytes and coconut oil?

Fourteen days. That's a decent interval, and you will also be timing it to coincide with the followup worm treatment. Two birds with one stone, apologies to chickens for this metaphor.

Back
Top Bottom