Ivermectin Dosage

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but the searches always pull up too many answers. I just need dosage information.

I have one Rooster who needs to be done. I have 1% ivermectin injectable. Planning on giving it to him on the back of the neck, but have no problem injecting him with it.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but the searches always pull up too many answers. I just need dosage information.

I have one Rooster who needs to be done. I have 1% ivermectin injectable. Planning on giving it to him on the back of the neck, but have no problem injecting him with it.

Thanks for any help!

This probably won't be the greatest help -- I use Cydectin (same active ingredient) - I use a pour on -- and 5-6 drops should probably work for the average rooster. Our dosage for cattle depends on weight of the animal.

Hope this bump helps you get your exact answer. Good Luck.

Thanks for any help!

Ivermectin injectable is ineffective as a wormer in chickens. You be better off using safeguard (fenbendazole) or valbazen (albendazole.)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

Not using it for worms. He has a case of scaley leg mites. I have tried all the normal courses of treatment, but it is not going away.

Hate those things.... My thoughts too if the mites are getting some kind of fluid from the chicken then blood borne medication should kill the mites.

I did see someplace where a person wrapped the chickens legs with cloth soaked in ... something used to kill mites...was it VetRx. I wonder how the chicken would not pull it off.... some kind of bandage made of a strip of cotton wound around the leg -- I can imagine some down sides to that...but the medication would be in constant touch with the shanks. -- maybe the mites would be smothered.

If I ever use something like olive oil on a chicken it seems fruit flys gather...but mineral oil - not a problem. If you don't have a lot of mud to deal with -- you could try a wrap. Just a wild suggestion. Good luck.

I've treated them on a hen with olive oil and it worked perfectly. His are just not going away and scales are starting to pop off. I was hoping to use what I have, and since I have Ivermectin and I know it has killed them off with with people, I was just going to use that.

Last edited:
I've treated them on a hen with olive oil and it worked perfectly. His are just not going away and scales are starting to pop off. I was hoping to use what I have, and since I have Ivermectin and I know it has killed them off with with people, I was just going to use that.

I see, you were going to rub on the legs...no, you said that you were going on the back of the neck, right? -- if it is oil based...maybe mix with some and rub on the legs? Post back when you know the results...which ever way you go. I have heard that they are really difficult to eradicate. (and invisible to the human eye too).

I was reading up on that very same subject last night and found this, but seems like a lot of work.
I was just wanting early stage and prevention or suspect but don't want to wait for a bad case.
http://www.greeningofgavin.com/2012/07/how-to-remove-scaly-leg-mites.html

This site was the most helpful for my situation, It is a forum, not too lengthy but hits some good points and an easy to acquire product, just spray on legs and don't need to do every day, 8th comment. Keep reading for details for prevention and other methods, but the Adams spray, talked about in this forum, seems very easy, most effective, affordable, easy to aquire, and practicle.....now that is what I'm after!!!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0708531424810.html

Back
Top Bottom