Ivermectin - how often to use it? And BigL dewormer?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
How often can you use Ivermectin?

One of my roosters has scaly legs and I last dosed him 17th June with Ivermectin.
But also dewormed with BigL 17 Aug.
I know Ivermectin is suppose to deworm also but forgot I gave Ivermectin :he .. But then do I use Ivermectin again now or is it too close after deworming? .. He didn't even have obvious worms I only did it as precaution. Will it do harm if I did another dose of Ivermectin now? And how often is ok to use Ivermectin?

For Ivermectin, you should treat 7-10 days after the first dose for parasites. I'm not sure about worming with it as I've read it's not as effective.
Was the first treatment for scaly leg mites or worming? I am not familiar with bigL, but I would imagine it's not the same chemical make up as Ivermectin so most likely it would be fine. For the scaly leg mites, put the dose of Ivermectin directly on the legs - if using the pour on. My brahma gets scaly leg mites, it works well on her. I know about the oil suggestion, but its not always a solution for everyone.

However, if you're speculating about treatments, can you post a pic of his legs? Having worms and scaly leg mites would produce different symptoms and a worm overload wouldn't present as scaly leg mites.

For Ivermectin, you should treat 7-10 days after the first dose for parasites. I'm not sure about worming with it as I've read it's not as effective.
Was the first treatment for scaly leg mites or worming? I am not familiar with bigL, but I would imagine it's not the same chemical make up as Ivermectin so most likely it would be fine. For the scaly leg mites, put the dose of Ivermectin directly on the legs - if using the pour on. My brahma gets scaly leg mites, it works well on her. I know about the oil suggestion, but its not always a solution for everyone.

However, if you're speculating about treatments, can you post a pic of his legs? Having worms and scaly leg mites would produce different symptoms and a worm overload wouldn't present as scaly leg mites.
I don't think there was any worm problems in the flock but I did the dewormer BigL just in case since I haven't done it in quite a while.
I'll post a pic later today, his feet are really bad, I treated some of the others with Ivermectin too and their legs cleared up but Cookie's didn't.
I have been using olive oil with most of the hens as I wanted to still eat the eggs and that has helped clear it up well.

I gave Cookie another dose of Ivermectin, this time I think I gave the correct dose- he is a big boy compared to my hens so I think I didn't give him enough before. I'll give another dose in 7 days.

IMG_20210912_111119.jpg
IMG_20210912_104600.jpg
IMG_20210912_104427.jpg

Are you putting the ivermectin on the back of his neck over his spine? What strength is it and what type. The dosage for pour on ivermectin 5mg per ml is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. It is repeated in 14 days for mites. It may not treat worms, since many worms have built resistance to ivermectin. Good dewormers are Valbazen and Safeguard liquid goat wormer.

Are you putting the ivermectin on the back of his neck over his spine? What strength is it and what type. The dosage for pour on ivermectin 5mg per ml is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. It is repeated in 14 days for mites. It may not treat worms, since many worms have built resistance to ivermectin. Good dewormers are Valbazen and Safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Back of neck, directly on skin.
I used 0.1 previously, this time 0.3
Ok, I'll repeat in 14 days and hopefully it will rid him of his mites. .. do I repeat in a few weeks after that or months?

IMG_20210912_113346.jpg

IMG_20210912_113018.jpg

Yeah that does look like scaly leg mites. Are you sure you got ivermectin? I've never seen it come in a brown bottle? I add a few drops to their feet and the rest I make sure to part the feathers and make sure its touching skin on their back.
It wouldn't hurt to oil him up either. I read one BYC member uses the cooking spray and says that's much easier to apply.

Yeah that does look like scaly leg mites. Are you sure you got ivermectin? I've never seen it come in a brown bottle? I add a few drops to their feet and the rest I make sure to part the feathers and make sure its touching skin on their back.
It wouldn't hurt to oil him up either. I read one BYC member uses the cooking spray and says that's much easier to apply.
Yep it's Ivermectin I got from the local feed store (in Australia).
I find a big can of spray hard to handle while holding the chicken at the same time, I dip feet in a container of oil or use a paintbrush dipped in oil. I'll give him an oiling tonight ☺️

Yep it's Ivermectin I got from the local feed store (in Australia).
I find a big can of spray hard to handle while holding the chicken at the same time, I dip feet in a container of oil or use a paintbrush dipped in oil. I'll give him an oiling tonight ☺️
I've never sprayed them with cooking spray either. You make a good point. 👍

Back
Top Bottom