Ivermectin neurological effects?

Cuterotts

Hatching
Aug 11, 2020
Hi all,
I found mite in my coop several weeks ago, treated the coop with perbio choc and the girls with ivermectin. No probs. All gone.
I got a couple of new girls at the same time, about 2 days before I saw the mites! They were quarantined but I treated them at the same time, just in case they brought any unwanted guests with them. So one girl was fine, the other (Harriet) quickly looked wobbly. I removed the treated water immediately and over the next few days she got a little better. I'm now 3 weeks on, she's better but still gets wobbly. For this reason I've decided not to put the new girls in with my existing flock and I'm building them a permanent larger run.

I'm finally getting round to my question: has anyone experienced a chicken recover totally from this, or will she always be wobbly?

Thanks
Em (& Harriet)

Where are you located in the world?
Do you have photos of the hen?
How old are the new hens? Where did they come from?

I would look inside her ears for infection.
Not sure what dosing of Ivermectin you used, but have not seen anyone ever mention neurological issues when using it.

Could be the bird has something wrong with her to begin with. For neurological symptoms you can try vitamin therapy - 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Lol, yeah I thought I'd killed him he was like a bad drunk.
I think the combination of heat and the ivermectin were the culprits could have even been dosage delivery method.
He'd had ivermectin in the summer before only orally with no issues but absorbtion through the skin kicked his butt.
Only one to ever do such a thing.
Maybe one could be sensitive to oral dosages as well.
Now I have seen someone mention wobbles!

Hi. I'm uk. Yorkshire. They were 20 weeks old when I got them, araucanas, from a local breeder. She seems perfectly healthy other wise. It's like she's just a little weak. I'll try and upload a video

He wasn't very little, he was a large rooster which may have saved him a more lengthy ordeal as I only able to dose him maybe a quarter of what the bottle called for before he escaped my grasp.
It isn't unimaginable a smaller bird that has sensitivity to it would have a longer reaction.
The one good thing is that there didn't seem to be any lasting damage.
The only help I could offer was to supplement his diet with eggs to supply a boost of vitamin E since I didn't have any capsules at the time.
Can I ask, did your little drunk recover?
Ah, just read it again. "A few days"
Harriet's been like this for 3 weeks, although not nearly as bad as she was....

Hi. I'm uk. Yorkshire. They were 20 weeks old when I got them, araucanas, from a local breeder. She seems perfectly healthy other wise. It's like she's just a little weak. I'll try and upload a video

Can I ask, did your little drunk recover?
Ah, just read it again. "A few days"
Harriet's been like this for 3 weeks, although not nearly as bad as she was....
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

3wks is quite a long time. I would try vitamin therapy for a couple of weeks.

Could be the bird has something wrong with her to begin with. For neurological symptoms you can try vitamin therapy - 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Thanks. I've ordered extra vitamins. I've just been giving her vit b in the water and the powdered tonic in the food.
Hopefully this video link will work

Back
Top Bottom