Ivermectin/noromectin use for scaley leg mites/other mites

With the pour on, you have to make sure it goes right on the skin, not the feathers. I have applied it in the evening while they were on the roost... much easier and no squirming. roughly speaking 0.50-0.75 cc for standards, 0.35-0.50 ccs for bantams, repeat in 10 days.

Thank you for the dosage!

Little background, I've been in search for a rooster for my hens for awhile and well folks have "found me a rooster".. Which has resulted in some interesting offers.  Well one of those offers was a poor rooster who I felt bad for.  A local elderly gentleman who has raised rare poultry for a number of years, has gotten to the point he can't care for his animals anymore and one of the gals helping him to re home his beloved poultry, brought home a Cochin rooster for me to use in my flock. 

Well he also had a girlfriend that came with him, and some extra critters attached it would appear.  Both have scaly leg mites (he has a really bad case), both are pretty bare and I'm going to assume have mites as they are constantly picking themselves.  I've dusted both with DE, have them in quarantine, and used Vet Rx on their legs (wanted to try it first as it seems to work really well on ear mites).

I don't know the ages on this couple but I'm going to say they are on the more senior end of chicken life (although the hen did sup rise me with laying some eggs).  I need to get some pictures of these two but so far they are pretty spastic around people, and every time I get close to them they start flying all over their limited space quarantine pen. I'm trying to keep them calm with no stress and a good diet to help rehab them.

So was thinking of using something quicker to treat their feet then trying to bath the legs, and applying a product several times to their legs which just stresses them out more.  Hence the the question on using one of the mectin products for mites.  I know it's not labeled for poultry use but seems vets have been Rxing it.  With like a one drop orally dosage once (not sure if they are repeating in 10 days?).  Was wondering for those that have gone this route how it has worked for your chickens?  And about how long it takes to see improvement in both the legs and skin?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom