Ivermectin overdose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojorose8, May 15, 2019.

1. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Hello. I have a hen who I think I might have overdosed on ivermectin. I was giving everyone a dose yesterday for mites and the bottle tipped over on this hen. I I didn’t think any got on her, just on me. But, about 24 hours later that hen is acting off. I found her laying by herself in their pasture. I picked her up and brought her inside. She’s not showing any interest in eating or drinking, although I did get her to eat a few bites of scrambled egg. Her eyes look clear and she seems alert, but it’s like she’s depressed or something. Also one of her wings is drooping. She has pooped once and it was firm and full of grass, but her crop feels empty. Does this sound like poisoning? Is there anything I can do? She’s inside in a box with some pine shavings, food and water with probiotics and electrolytes. I also gave her a dose of aspirin Incase she’s in pain.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You are treating for an active mite infestation?
    How old is she?
    When the Ivermectin was spilled - if it got on her would it have been on her feathers or on her skin? From my understanding, Ivermectin needs to make contact with the skin to be effective for treating external parasites, so if it was on the feathers, likely there was not much absorbed.

I would investigate a little more - the spill may have nothing to do with her condition now. Look to see if the mites are dead, feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid - you don't mention if she's currently laying eggs.
    The drooping wing...that's a bit concerning - could be from handling, injury or disease - look at it to see if it's been damaged somehow.

Photos of your hen and her poop may also be helpful.

Eggcessive and Kathy Golla like this.
  3. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    She’s 2 years old and has been laying well. She pooped twice last night and I noticed a lot of grass in her poop when I looked through it.

I never saw mites on this hen, but one of my others has feather mites so I was treating the whole flock. The ivermectin, if any of the spill got on her, was just on her feathers.

I checked her for injury and didn’t notice anything. I also felt her abdomen and it felt normal.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Was her crop empty this morning before she had anything to eat or drink?

5. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Yes, I checked it first thing. She seems much better this morning. I brought her back outside and she was happily eating treats with the rest of the flock. I’m definitely going to keep an eye on her. Maybe she ate too much grass and didn’t feel well? Her crop was quite hard last night when I checked her out. She didn’t poop much last night at all but this one this morning plus a normal small one a bit later.

Attached Files:

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That poop looks questionable - I would watch her close today to see if she lays an egg and re-check the crop again in the morning to make sure it's empty.

7. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    What would you suspect from that poop, just so I can make sure I’m prepared. I dewormed with Valbazen in March.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's a lot of urates and looks like mucous in there to me too. The reddish part is probably a little intestinal shedding, but hard to tell. There's no "bulk" to it. You had mentioned that her crop was hard last night, but maybe it was not full? I would expect more than 1-2 poops overnight.
    Poop can vary greatly, I would just watch to see if it becomes more normal or if it continues.

upload_2019-5-16_8-33-40.png

Trux likes this.
  9. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    It didn’t feel very full when I checked her, just hard. That concerned me that she wasn’t eating. She passed 2 very grassy stools around 7pm and 10pm. I noticed some runny stool matter in the pine shavings but not as much as normal for a chicken overnight. Then she passed the one I attached this morning and right after another normal looking solid one that was still small. Her crop was totally empty this morning. I was concerned it was an impacted crop when I saw the grassy poop last night but that doesn’t appear to be the problem either.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: