Ivermectin poisoning?

What was the product you used? I just bought Ivermectin pour-on for cattle and I've been reading for HOURS on how much to give my girls.. so nervous.. :( https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-pour-on-250-ml?cm_vc=-10005
I see you have a thread where you are battling mites.

As for Ivermectin Pour On it can be effective for treatment of mites, however you will need to rid the housing of the bugs to get the infestation under control. If the Elector is not doing the job, then I would re-check mixing instructions and possibly consider the product has gone bad if the bottle is 1 1/2 years old. Call the manufacturer to see if they can tell you more. I'm thinking that Spinosad does not store well but could be wrong.

Here's the correct dosing info for Ivermectin Pour On and Injectable. I'm not sure why you are that nervous about using the product, but if you are then perhaps it's better to take it back and use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust on your birds and housing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544

What did you use in the pallet coop to get rid of the mites? Bleachwater kills them, however there is no residual as with Permethrin and Sevin.
I have bad lungs so I don't use chemicals that I have to apply as a dust .Whats worse I'm allergic to chicken dander so I can't be in an enclosed area with them

What did you use in the pallet coop to get rid of the mites? Bleachwater kills them, however there is no residual as with Permethrin and Sevin.
I painted the pallet coop with lime & salt in hot water(white wash)I painted their roosting bars with organic turpentine mixed with neem oil.Everything I used in the coop I used in the nest boxes(except white wash) PSP and Permethrin was used a week apart on the coop and chickens both.I used Ivermectin on the chickens after I saw they still had mites.It was exhausting.Edit:I used multiple treatments of Permethrin before using Ivermectin.

Last edited:
I've seen lice resistance to Sevin dust which surprised me. Ivermectin pour on worked for me in the past when I was dealing with a minor mite issue.
Here's a link for you regarding efficacy of ivermectin; specifically regarding ineffectiveness of the product treating mites in poultry. It was bound to happen sooner or later and/or simply might be a regional issue. Just follow the link within the link. See post #8.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...osage-and-instructions.1351897/#post-22288649

I see you have a thread where you are battling mites.

As for Ivermectin Pour On it can be effective for treatment of mites, however you will need to rid the housing of the bugs to get the infestation under control. If the Elector is not doing the job, then I would re-check mixing instructions and possibly consider the product has gone bad if the bottle is 1 1/2 years old. Call the manufacturer to see if they can tell you more. I'm thinking that Spinosad does not store well but could be wrong.

Here's the correct dosing info for Ivermectin Pour On and Injectable. I'm not sure why you are that nervous about using the product, but if you are then perhaps it's better to take it back and use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust on your birds and housing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544
I am just nervous because I have read sooo many different things on dose and don't want to give them too much but also want to give enough to make it effective.

I already got rid of all bedding. I'm changing the run over to sand. I called the manufacturer of Elector PSP and they told me the product should still work (it's definitely not working, which is disappointing considering it was $125).. I also picked up Permethrin last night and am going to spray the coop down with that. Just feeling overwhelmed. :(

Thank you for the link!

Hi guys. I figured I would give a positive and uplifting update. First I made an error in my previous post. I did not give each bird 5 ml of ivermectin, it was .05 ml. BIIIIG difference! I did eventually get ahold of the ASPCA poison control and learned a lot.
First and foremost, the babies will be ok. They will have an upset belly and some diarrhea but that is all. .05 ml is still a high dose, too high but not high enough for serious side effects.
5 ml on the other hand would’ve likely led to death due to the poison hitting their neurological system. Poison control stated that would take anywhere from 48-72 hours to see serious side effects.
Though all chicken meds are used “off-brand” they were especially not fond of the ivermectinn pour on. They couldn’t go into much detail but I got the distinct impression that this is not a fan favorite when it comes to professionals. I for one, will not be using it again. The only thing recommended to me at home was to bathe the chickens with dawn dish soap and try to wash off as much of it as possible. Which is what I was doing at 1 am in my kitchen sink. So. Fun.

This is the ASPCA’s Poison Control number for anyone who might need it: 888-426-4435. It does cost $95 for an over the phone consultation but they were able to take the dosage, weight of the birds, etc.. and come back with very specific advice. They were knowledgeable and kind. Much kinder than the emergency vet I called who said “I’m not coming in, in the middle of the night, to babysit a bunch of chickens.” Understandable I guess, but still disheartening.

To address some of the comments above: I just dewormed them a few weeks ago with Fenbendazole so I’m not expecting a big worm count exodus. This (ivermectin) was because I suspected they had mites.

I do really wish, especially with the rise in backyard flocks that the FDA would approve dosages made specifically for chickens. It is incredibly stressful having to take medication advice through the grape vine as it were instead of from researched trials. I hope this changes in the future and a passionate vet writes a great chicken manual book.

In the meantime, thanks for your responses, support and understanding even as I recognize that this was my big screw up and could’ve ended much more seriously.
Do you mean you gave them .5 ml? From what I am reading, .05ml is not a high dose at all?

Do you mean you gave them .5 ml? From what I am reading, .05ml is not a high dose at all?

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml
You are confusing yourself by doing a lot of further research. Again, may I suggest that if you are not confident in dosing info, that you take the Pour On back. Treat your birds and housing intensely with Powder/Spray in 7 day intervals.

Max Dose Pour On is 1mg/kg which is 0.09mg per pound of weight.

The math is:
1 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 5 = 0.09 this is the dose per pound of weight for Pour On.

1661096272471.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom