Ivermectin Pour On: Dosage and Instructions???

Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all,
My Silkie flock is currently being affected by scaly leg mites and possibly worms? I've noticed watery poo for some time now and I've heard to worm in fall and spring anyway.

What dosage should I be using for my chickens?
Do I need to withhold eggs?
Do I need to retreat in 10 days?

I'm using the cattle pour on (5mg/ml)

Thanks so much!!

Hello. I am waiting from a call back from my vet on this very same question!! I'll be glad to fill you in once she calls!
So...it's actually not approved for this country so they can't really tell you, but the "suggestion" was to do 3 drops on the back of the necks, withdraw for 10 days and then redose and withdraw for another 10

First of all ivermectin is not approved for poultry, but when it is used, there is an egg withdrawal time. It is not reliable for worms anymore, and worms may be resistant. But it still is effective for mites and lice. Dosage for chickens is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine. Repeat in 14 days.

For worming, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) are very good wormers. I can give dosage if needed.

Hi all,
My Silkie flock is currently being affected by scaly leg mites and possibly worms? I've noticed watery poo for some time now and I've heard to worm in fall and spring anyway.

What dosage should I be using for my chickens?
Do I need to withhold eggs?
Do I need to retreat in 10 days?

I'm using the cattle pour on (5mg/ml)

Thanks so much!!
First of all ivermectin is not approved for poultry, but when it is used, there is an egg withdrawal time. It is not reliable for worms anymore, and worms may be resistant. But it still is effective for mites and lice. Dosage for chickens is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine. Repeat in 14 days.

For worming, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) are very good wormers. I can give dosage if needed.

In addition to the info that @Eggcessive gave you, if your birds have SLM, I would also slather some type of oil on the legs to help with healing. Vaseline or Castor oil seem to be popular and Nu Stock cream is also used.

Check your flock for lice or mites on the body too. If you treat with the Ivermectin, that should take care of external parasites, but you still need to treat housing including roosting bars and nest boxes. A permethrin based poultry spray or dust can be used to treat the housing once you remove all the bedding. Repeat in 7-10 days.

Ivermectin has lost its effectiveness in treating large roundworms from my experience, and most likely other types of poultry worms due to its overuse as a miteacide in poultry.

Currently Ivermectin is ineffective in treating mites in poultry most likely due to resistance. Here's a link: Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to "SPECIFIC FEATURE."
Then down to "Efficacy of ivermectin."
It states that in poultry, the therapeutic dose is ineffective in treating red poultry mites, northern fowl mites, tropical fowl mites and soft ticks.
https://parasitipedia.net/index.php...ermectin&catid=212&tmpl=component&Itemid=2716
It would be better to use Permethrin liquid concentrate or Permethrin powder. The Permethrin liquid is good for 28 days once applied.

If your vet is willing to do a fecal test on some collected droppings today, that would be a good way to know if they have worms, and what kind. I also agree with applying a thick oil of choice to the legs for scaly leg mites at least once a week. I have heard good things about castor oil, and you can find a large bottle online for a very reasonable price. Permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water or the poultry garden dust are very good if you see mites or lice.

I use Vaseline and Betadine mixed 75%/25% for scaly leg mite here. It is more trouble than putting drops on, but as Wyorp Rock mentions, Vaseline provides some moisture and protection to the legs and when mixed with Betadine, acts as an anti fungal which helps clean away the crusty stuff. It also has the advantage of no egg withdrawal time used without the Ivermectin drops.

Back
Top Bottom