Ivermectin question

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Hi all,

I have been thinking of using a de-wormer that a reliable user here on BYC recommended to me, called Ivermectin. I have found the stuff at a local feed store, but it only comes as a paste in a tube meant to be put down a horse's throat. I have no idea how to translate that into a dose to dab onto my chickens.

Please help if you have experience with this. I'd be very grateful for any knowledge you have to share!

Some people have used the paste - but i don't reccomend it. Have your feedstore order you the injectable. It can be injected or given orally. Or you can get the pour-on ivermectin. Any feedstore worth its salt should be happy to order a product for you.

Thank you for the replies! The pour-on is definitely the one I would prefer too. I'll see if I can order it online so I don't have to make another long trek to the feedstore for ordering.

What dose should I use for the pour-on?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ivermectin Pour-on.. For the pour on Ivermectin for cattle (not Eprinex) the dosage use is as follows:

1 drop - OEGB sized small bantam female
2 drops - OEGB sized small bantam male
3 drops - average bantams
4 drops - large bantams, small commercial fowl
5 drops - most commercial fowl, small giant hens
6 drops - giant breeds of chicken

I always use a 3 cc syringe that I just fill to about 2 cc's with a 20 gauge needle. The needle WON'T be injected into the chicken, but does make it easier to dispense a controlled correct sized drop. It also is easier to get in there between the feathers.

For location, you'll want to find an easy to reach spot with as little fluff as possible. I've had the best luck with the back of the neck or under the wing when I am by myself. I just pick up the chicken in my left hand, ruffle around the feathers with my right hand until I find a nice clear spot, then rotate the syringe around to dispense the drops exactly on the skin.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you for your concise and clear directions! I've ordered the pour-on from Amazon, so we should be on our way to wormed chickens! I havn't seen any ill effects on my birds, but it seems preventing an infestation would be easier than removing one.

You're awesome!
hugs.gif

The dose for the paste is a BB size drop for standard breeds.

I can tell you for a FACT, that the paste tastes TERRIBLE!! The chickens hated it and looked at me like I was trying to POISON them! They were wiping their beaks and shaking their heads. So i tasted it. It was horrible, bitter, gag-inducing. I guess they do have taste buds. Of course, meal worms are bitter too but they love them.

Luckily it was only about 7 dollars and I will likely get the pour on or Safeguard or something next time.

Quote:

Welcome!!!
hugs.gif

Also, you don't have to use a needle if you are not comfortable getting it close to the chicken. I usually deworm every 6 months unless I see mites or anything, but I never have so it must be working!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom