Ivermectin sheep drench 0.08% dosing for chickens

Rowen4

Hatching
Aug 27, 2020
I have a sick roo and need to treat him for parasites ASAP. This is what they had at tractor supply. I want to apply it to the bottom of his neck. I’ve watched videos on how to apply.
my questions are...
What’s the dosing for 0.08% oon full size chicken. Not a meat chicken. 4-5 drops? (The strength of the solution I have is different from what I’ve see talked about in other posts.)
How long would you suggest avoiding the eggs?

image.jpg

I have a sick roo and need to treat him for parasites ASAP. This is what they had at tractor supply. I want to apply it to the bottom of his neck. I’ve watched videos on how to apply.
my questions are...
What’s the dosing for 0.08% oon full size chicken. Not a meat chicken. 4-5 drops? (The strength of the solution I have is different from what I’ve see talked about in other posts.)

View attachment 2308268
I know someone I think can help. @casportpony do you know how to dose this solution?

my questions are...

View attachment 2308268
As I understand it, Pour-over is not the same as Drench. The drench is an oral medication. The Pour-over is topical. Honestly, I haven’t researched it too much. I assume the topical med is a higher concentration than the drench?

No one ever answered this?

From what I have read, and learned from other people with birds, for chickens you can put 1 to 3 drops on the bare skin of neck or between shoulder blades, 1 drop being for a small breed, 2 drops average chicken, up to 3 drops for larger heavy breeds. I have used 1 drop on each of my Homing Pigeons with success. I am administering 2 drops per chicken today. The process needs to be repeated in 7 to 10 days to address eggs of mites/lice that will hatch out. Also, if you can see the clumps of eggs in feathers, usually around vents, base of tail, tops of legs under wing or around neck & head, try to clean them off. I've used a paper towel wet with soapy water or rubbing alcohol to do that, & wore latex gloves, before putting the Ivermectin drops onto the bird. It has worked for my Pigeons for years. This is the 1st time I'm using on my chickens. Pigeon lice are different than Chicken mites, so I hope it works well.

The ivermectin sheep drench dose is absolutely no less than ~0.12 ml per pound of body weight. That's the 0.2 mg/kg dose.

Math for the sheep drench:
Weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 0.2, divide by 0.8 = # of ml per pound to use.

The 0.08% solution = 0.8 mg ivermectin per ml.
The injectable = 10 mg ivermectin per ml.
The pour-on = 5 g ivermectin per ml.

The ivermectin sheep drench dose is absolutely no less than ~0.12 ml per pound of body weight. That's the 0.2 mg/kg dose.

Math for the sheep drench:
Weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 0.2, divide by 0.8 = # of ml per pound to use.

The 0.08% solution = 0.8 mg ivermectin per ml.
The injectable = 10 mg ivermectin per ml.
The pour-on = 5 g ivermectin per ml.
Is there a formula for administering in the water supply for a flock? I have 25 birds of varying sizes. Is there a ratio of sheep drench to water that can be multiplied per pound or kg of bird? Will they regulate a correctly proportioned dosage based on individual water intake, or is that the purpose for the min/max range?

Is there a formula for administering in the water supply for a flock? I have 25 birds of varying sizes. Is there a ratio of sheep drench to water that can be multiplied per pound or kg of bird? Will they regulate a correctly proportioned dosage based on individual water intake, or is that the purpose for the min/max range?
Is the sheep drench water soluble?

Back
Top Bottom