Ivermectin / Sneezing - coincidence?

sloanbychoice

Crowing
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
I used Ivermectin on my flock for the first time.
Today, at least five are sneezing and sound mucus-y.
Is this a coincidence?
Has anyone ever had this happen?
We have had strange weather.

Ivermectin doesnt cause those symptoms. But a respiratory disease can cause those symptoms as well as environmental issues such as; mold or fungus spores inside the coop and/or bedding, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation, pollen, pesticide use, DE, dusty environment etc...

I looked all over and couldn't find any association. But I had to ask. It seems rather interesting that I treat them one night, and the very next day I have symptoms that came out of nowhere in half my flock.
I guess I'll watch them to see which one they have. :(

It's possible your birds may not have shown any symptoms prior to worming them if they are carriers of a respiratory disease unbeknownst to you. Then after handling and worming them, it would cause stress. The stress caused the symptoms to appear and that's what you're seeing.

@dawg53
Could be.... Although I will say this was the least stressful treatment I've ever been part of.
I waited until well after dark and just dripped their necks while they were at roost.

I'm going to spend the whole day out there tomorrow doing a thorough clean and checking them out really well. I've got a broody I'm setting up a separate place for, so I'll be able to watch them all day.
This is worrying me.

One of my layers walked backward for a moment when she was going into the coop at bedtime.

The farmers were spraying anhydrous this week.
I used the Ivermectin last night.
We had two full days of rain and storms, with drastic temp changes.
These are the only "odd" things lately...

But I am concerned, because recently, a squirrel chewed through my netting, allowing wild birds entry into my runs. Jerk. Probably just got my whole flock infected with something.

Dont jump the gun and panic just yet, it could be something simple. When birds leave the coop in the mornings, they head straight to the feeders and waterers. It's entirely possible they were starving after being awakened during the night and then gorged feed, possibly inhaling feed dust or inhaling a feed granule. I've had that happen.

Also if the farmers were spraying anhydrous ammonia this week, it could be a factor. I have no experience in that area.

Fried squirrel is good eating mmmmmm!

Back
Top Bottom