Ivermectin use for scaly leg mites?

Quote:
Well, with the vaseline I have treated once a day for a few weeks, the mineral oil I have dunked for about a week as well. I just think medicine that is meant for mites might get the job done easier and quicker.

Is it possible you didn`t give the oily methods time to work? Even Ivermectin will not show results in less than a month. Perhaps you killed the little vamps and they are no longer present, but the scales have not had time to rejuvinate. You can`t do any better than drowning them. My method has always been to treat with oil once every couple weeks for a month and then wait to see what the scales look like at the end of the second month. Scales are not gonna look new in a month. I kinda think you might be overdoing it a little. Just my opinion, but it is possible to be impatient with anything going on in a farming situation. I think I would wait a while, after all you`ve done, to see what the legs look like in a month. Like was mentioned, it is a bit pricey, and if we are just talking leg mites, which are probably dead and gone, maybe you should be patient.

Now, if we were talking about body lice/mites, Ivermectin works well, but so does Sevin Dust , or Permethrin. For real bad infestations, which can occur in any flock, I would recommend Adams Flea and Tick Dip. You mix it in a 5 gal bucket as directed and dip the bird up to the top of it`s neck. Ya gotta do it in warm weather obviously, but dipping and then spraying the whole coop, including nests and roosts, brings tha desired results and you don`t have to retreat in 10 days as the smell will tell you it`s still on the job for a month.

Good luck on whatever you decide.......Pop

Thanks for all your advice... I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll treat their legs with vaseline 2 times a week... just to be safe.
smile.png

Quote:
Is it possible you didn`t give the oily methods time to work? Even Ivermectin will not show results in less than a month. Perhaps you killed the little vamps and they are no longer present, but the scales have not had time to rejuvinate. You can`t do any better than drowning them. My method has always been to treat with oil once every couple weeks for a month and then wait to see what the scales look like at the end of the second month. Scales are not gonna look new in a month. I kinda think you might be overdoing it a little. Just my opinion, but it is possible to be impatient with anything going on in a farming situation. I think I would wait a while, after all you`ve done, to see what the legs look like in a month. Like was mentioned, it is a bit pricey, and if we are just talking leg mites, which are probably dead and gone, maybe you should be patient.

Now, if we were talking about body lice/mites, Ivermectin works well, but so does Sevin Dust , or Permethrin. For real bad infestations, which can occur in any flock, I would recommend Adams Flea and Tick Dip. You mix it in a 5 gal bucket as directed and dip the bird up to the top of it`s neck. Ya gotta do it in warm weather obviously, but dipping and then spraying the whole coop, including nests and roosts, brings tha desired results and you don`t have to retreat in 10 days as the smell will tell you it`s still on the job for a month.

Good luck on whatever you decide.......Pop

Thanks for all your advice... I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll treat their legs with vaseline 2 times a week... just to be safe.
smile.png

I appriciate your enthusiasm, but if you have treated with Vaseline and oil as much as you say, you are good. Just stop worrying about it and check it in a month. They should be well on the road to recovery with no additional treatments. good luck......Pop

I use Eprinex. It is a pour-on version of Ivermectin that has zero-withdrawal, so I don't have to discard the eggs. I have never seen any mites on my chickens, nor do I see signs of worms. I have large chickens, so I put 7 drops to the back of the neck directly on the skin.

How often do you re-treat with Eprinex drops?

We had our "Gypsy" flock (we think red laced wyandotteXsilkie) with a bad case of scaly leg mites, the one small roo had 2 mm thick crusts on his legs, the rest were just lifted with bits of yellow crust visible between the scales..

we treated them with an oil dip nightly for two weeks, which was doing great, dead scales and the crusts were falling off, healthy looking skin visible underneath.. then the crusts started to appear on their face and combs. naturally, we couldn't treat that with an oil dip, so we restorted to getting Bimectin, which is an ivermectin pour-on. cost us $33 for 1L (5mg/ml) at our local feed store in Rural Ontario. we used half a cc for our big layers, and just a quarter for our young birds, and bantams. the crusts are now ceasing and falling off, and our egg production from our layers has spiked.. we have 15 laying hens, and we were getting about two eggs a day. starting two days after the ivermectin dosing, we have gone up to 7 or 8 eggs per day. it has been five days now, and we will resume eating the eggs tomorrow. cant wait..we had to buy eggs..and i felt guilty. haha!

Last edited:
I aquired a few Lemon Blue hens and a roo and found the roo horribly infested with leg mites. Although it is off label use,I have my ivermec "rep" looking into the correct withdrawl times for the eggs. In the meantime, does anyone know of the withdrawl time?

I have found vaseline very effective if applied every few days. However, if the weather is muddy or wet it can remove the vaseline, in which case I would use 4 drops of Ivermectin per chicken (if large fowl). Lesley

I know this thread is old, but with the epernex can you put it on their legs for scaly leg mites ? Or do you put it on their neck wing vent and that gets rid of the ones on the legs as well?

Ivermectin is not licensed for Chickens here in the UK, but it can be used provided you withdraw eggs for 7 days. You put drops of it directly onto the skin of the chicken's neck and I am told that it treats all mites (the number of drops depends on the size of the bird). You can double up and put vaseline onto the chickens' legs if you want to as this will also starve the scaly leg mite of air, but it's not strictly necessary. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom