Ivomec pour on for scaly leg mites?

Ok, so here’s an update for this week so far.

On Sunday, we soaked her feet, brushed them, applied some neosporin to the break in her skin and slathered on some aquafor as well. She has isolated in our laundry room with a little stuffed lion for some company. She eats and drinks, but she still won’t use the foot. I have been at college so I am just relaying what my mom has told me over the phone. We didn’t get a chance to get the ivomec from my neighbors yet because my little brother has been sick and my parents didn’t want to expose them (they are older, the wife has cancer). If there’s anything else we need to do, let me know, I can try to get my parents to do it. I won’t be home until Friday afternoon.
She probably needs soaking every chance you can get.

It's a long process to heal, there is no instant fix. Since SLM have a 10-14 day life cycle, even if you kill them, the eggs will hatch and they'll come back. I tried all the vaseline/soaking/AD ointment but it's very messy and I didn't see any results after about 3 weeks so I applied 5 drops of pour-on ivermectin (for cattle) once, and again 14 days later. I started seeing results in about a week, but it is a slow process.
The deformed scales don't come off until a new healthy scale grows underneath. I've read about some chickens taking up to a year to fully heal. Attached is a picture with healthy new scales highlighted.
This picture is about 2 months after first dose of ivermectin, but this is also a pretty severe case of SLM.

Also, like others mentioned you should probably trim her nails. Those long nails mean her toes are going to be bending back, which will put pressure on the deformed scales.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 8
It's a long process to heal, there is no instant fix. Since SLM have a 10-14 day life cycle, even if you kill them, the eggs will hatch and they'll come back. I tried all the vaseline/soaking/AD ointment but it's very messy and I didn't see any results after about 3 weeks so I applied 5 drops of pour-on ivermectin (for cattle) once, and again 14 days later. I started seeing results in about a week, but it is a slow process.
The deformed scales don't come off until a new healthy scale grows underneath. I've read about some chickens taking up to a year to fully heal. Attached is a picture with healthy new scales highlighted.
This picture is about 2 months after first dose of ivermectin, but this is also a pretty severe case of SLM.

Also, like others mentioned you should probably trim her nails. Those long nails mean her toes are going to be bending back, which will put pressure on the deformed scales.
Question. Do you have to do egg withdrawl when treated with IVM?

Hey y’all.

So I’ve got a hen that has scaly leg mites and they’re hurting her pretty bad. She refuses to walk on her left leg because of one of her toes. I’m only home to put Vaseline on her two days out of the week (I’m at college the other 5). Today we soaked her legs in warm water with some dish soap and powdered sulfur to try and help some. I’ve been reading up on cures but I can’t find anything that is fast that I can do in one weekend. I was wondering, can you put ivomec pour-on on her legs to help with them? I don’t want to do anything that is going to make her hurt more. If the ivomec is not an option, is there another way I can help her get better fast?

Thanks,
Levi
I've never used anything but regular old cooking oil for scaly leg mites. Clean the legs, dip them in oil once a day and within a week or so they begin to heal. You really don't need all the chemicals.

I've never used anything but regular old cooking oil for scaly leg mites. Clean the legs, dip them in oil once a day and within a week or so they begin to heal. You really don't need all the chemicals.
Really? So just like regular vegetable oil or sunflower oil?

Really? So just like regular vegetable oil or sunflower oil?
Most any type of oil is good to smother the leg mites and soften the scales. I have used vegetable shortening in a can, vaseline, veg oil, mineral oil, and some use castor oil which is said to be very good and less messy. It doesn’t matter which you use. But soaking the legs in a warm soapy tub and clean the legs is important too. Earlier, a fee of us mentioned Nustock Horse Cream which contains sulfur, a natural insecticide, and it is very good. You can make it with sulfur powder and vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom