IVOMEC replacement: is Durvet Ivermecting Pour-on ok for your birds?

BennieAnTheJets

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Virginia, USA
So I have not bought my trusty old IVOMEC (ivermectin pour-on for cattle, 5 mg /ml) for a while and now it seems to be no longer available.

Durvet sells an ivermectin pour-on for cattle, 5 mg /ml. Wondering if that is safe to use instead.

Got the dose and directions for my birds for off-label use for IVOMEC but my vet retired and I have trouble finding a good new one.

Thought I'd ask and see if anyone has used the Durvet product on their birds? Please let me know - would be so helpful to hear from you!!

Have you used this one as pour-on for birds? https://www.valleyvet.com/swatches/46827_L_vvs_000.jpg

Love your loink to the possum tick killer article!
Yeah, I feel people pick on the possum because it's ugly, and anything that eats ticks is okay in my book. :thumbsup
Love your profile pic by the way. I loved my guineas and of course had them for tick control.
I've not used ivermectin for lice, I prefer DE and lots of dust bath areas.

I use permethrin. You can get the dust, premixed spray and the concentrate at TSC. I have used ivermectin in the past.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg PermethrinSpraySm.jpg

Ivermectin pour on and ivermectin in general has lost its effectiveness against poultry worms and most mites. I stopped using it years ago. The same for Eprinex. Permethrin is the way to go as @cmom mentioned for lice/mites, benzimidazoles for worms.

Isn't Permethrin a potent neuro-toxin you are not supposed to spray on your clothes even while wearing them?

I think I have a bottle to spray clothes and let them dry before wearing to protect against ticks.

Hm, ok, Thank you!

I guess I have this one (below) and it says to wear a mask and gloves and spray on clothes in non-windy conditions outside and let dry before wearing. It is a neurotoxin. Good for 5 washings on the clothes to still kill ticks. Pretty strong stuff.

I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to risk in the trade-off. I have some older birds that may be weaker already and not have such strong livers for detox. Also, I would be mindful of myself or the birds touching roosting bars etc. after treatment. My bottle says it is ok after it is dry with the clothes but I am not sure I am reading that correctly and it still kills ticks on contact even when dry and after having gone through the wash. Wow!

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Back
Top Bottom