Ivy- Is it Poisonous?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shetlandpony222, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. shetlandpony222

    shetlandpony222 New Egg

    Apr 16, 2008
    I was thinking about placing the chickens in an enviorment where they are surrounded by Ivy. I am worried that they'd they eat the Ivy they will get sick. Is Ivy poisonous to chickens??
  2. warren

    warren Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 29, 2007
    I think ivy is poisonous to most animals. Best to avoid it. They may have enough sense to not eat it but they may not.
  3. shabbyfarm

    shabbyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    I am new to chickens, but cows eat poison ivy with no ill effects.
  4. Guitartists

    Guitartists Resistance is futile

    Mar 21, 2008
    There is a list of poisonous plants here somewhere on the BYC. Search for toxic plants.

    They might not be as interested in Ivy since it is such a hard tough plant. Aside from the very young leaves, it is usually pretty tough. Best to avoid it if it is poisonous, but if it's not a huge concern you might just bird-sit them the first few times they are introduced to the area and see if they even take any interest in it.

    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by