I’m freaking out about this…🤯🤬🤯

Nope, tons of people feed starter for life. He’ll be fine. Especially if it’s only the one bag. As for him not eating it, you could try mixing it with water and making a wet mash. He’ll think it’s a treat lol
He’s an inside spoiled rotten gooszilla that would definitely turn his nose at anything mushy. Won’t eat watermelon, bananas, strawberries..if they get squishy he ends up flinging them and I have no idea where they land till way later on. 🤦‍♀️ I actually tried the mushy when he was little and he wouldn’t touch it them..you’d think that I tore up his favorite pillow or something right now🤦‍♀️🙄

He’s an inside spoiled rotten gooszilla that would definitely turn his nose at anything mushy. Won’t eat watermelon, bananas, strawberries..if they get squishy he ends up flinging them and I have no idea where they land till way later on. 🤦‍♀️ I actually tried the mushy when he was little and he wouldn’t touch it them..you’d think that I tore up his favorite pillow or something right now🤦‍♀️🙄
Oh gosh! LOL gooszilla for sure 🤣🤣:hugs

I’m not sure if ducks and geese have layer since their needs are different. I think it’s more for chickens but was just thinking you may have been thinking of that. Apologies for the confusion :oops:
Female ducks and geese need a layer feed or supplemental oystershell when laying, the rest of the year flock raiser or some sort of multiflock is fine.

Manna pro 22% crumbles are just fine. Personally I don’t care for manna pro as a company because of packaging/price gouging, but their feed is good quality.
Unfortunatly they don’t sell their feed in 50 pound bags, they only sell those tiny things, so to get what you need for a duck or goose you have to buy a lot of those tiny little plastic bags....and they charge a lot for them.
Sorry for the rant, it’s a pet peeve of mine.

But anyway 17%, 20%, 22% can be used as a maintenance feed for ducks and geese, 17% feeds are more suitable for adults in the middle of the summer to fall after they’ve molted and grown in their feathers.
During molting, if it’s cold, or if they’re laying they need more protein, like 20% to 22%.

You can also just keep them on 20 to 22% all year round, smaller breeds can have a little bit of a weight issue so they just need to be monitored a bit more, small breeds as in classic romans, tufted romans, Oregon mini geese, or just very small individuals.

If you have a sick underweight bird 30% gamebird is a good feed to put them on, it can also be an occasional nice treat to add in on really frigid nights. 30% should never be a maintenance feed, it is for putting weight on, so long term that will cause health issues like fatty liver.

If they’re laying you can get a layer feed, or just give access to oyster shells or egg shells if you have boys also, boys, females that aren’t laying, and babies should not have excess calcium because that can cause kidney and pancreas problems.

Checking the percentage labels on feed bags is a good idea, sometimes just because a bag is labeled for babies doesn’t mean it is, for example for awhile Dumor all flock had 4.00% calcium, which is the same percentage as most layer feeds, so in other words it was repackaged layer feed, not an all flock as advertised. Last I checked they changed their recipe though, who knows what it is now.

Geese and ducks like us are individuals and can have different individual metabolisms, especially for mixed breeds, what’s good for some is to much or too little for others so routine physical examination and weighing can help you determine if they’re of a healthy weight.

Manna pro 22% crumbles are just fine. Personally I don’t care for manna pro as a company because of packaging/price gouging, but their feed is good quality.
Unfortunatly they don’t sell their feed in 50 pound bags, they only sell those tiny things, so to get what you need for a duck or goose you have to buy a lot of those tiny little plastic bags....and they charge a lot for them.
Sorry for the rant, it’s a pet peeve of mine.

But anyway 17%, 20%, 22% can be used as a maintenance feed for ducks and geese, 17% feeds are more suitable for adults in the middle of the summer to fall after they’ve molted and grown in their feathers.
During molting, if it’s cold, or if they’re laying they need more protein, like 20% to 22%.

You can also just keep them on 20 to 22% all year round, smaller breeds can have a little bit of a weight issue so they just need to be monitored a bit more, small breeds as in classic romans, tufted romans, Oregon mini geese, or just very small individuals.

If you have a sick underweight bird 30% gamebird is a good feed to put them on, it can also be an occasional nice treat to add in on really frigid nights. 30% should never be a maintenance feed, it is for putting weight on, so long term that will cause health issues like fatty liver.

If they’re laying you can get a layer feed, or just give access to oyster shells or egg shells if you have boys also, boys, females that aren’t laying, and babies should not have excess calcium because that can cause kidney and pancreas problems.

Checking the percentage labels on feed bags is a good idea, sometimes just because a bag is labeled for babies doesn’t mean it is, for example for awhile Dumor all flock had 4.00% calcium, which is the same percentage as most layer feeds, so in other words it was repackaged layer feed, not an all flock as advertised. Last I checked they changed their recipe though, who knows what it is now.

Geese and ducks like us are individuals and can have different individual metabolisms, especially for mixed breeds, what’s good for some is to much or too little for others so routine physical examination and weighing can help you determine if they’re of a healthy weight.
Thank you so much for that. You are always so full of knowledge!!! 🙌🤘Now to get him to eat it..🫠

Thank you so much for that. You are always so full of knowledge!!! 🙌🤘Now to get him to eat it..🫠
Geese can be so picky!

Making up a soupy mash and letting them play with it has helped for me in the past. I don’t know if it will work for him because he doesn’t like wet food, but that’s all I know.

Back
Top Bottom