Jacob lamb's horns falling off

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TeamChaos, May 26, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Olivia lamb is about 5 months old. She is a four horned jacob bottle baby. We noticed a while back that the two little horns on the side were wiggly but nothing seemed to come of it. Today I noticed that one of her top horns was bloody and very loose, by the end of the day it was dangling off so I cut it free. As I was cleaning her up, she knocked the other top horn into my hand and it started to bleed around the base. I put blood stop on it but I suspect I'll be snipping it off tomorrow. What in the world is going on??

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Was Olivia born on your farm? If not, could her horns have been banded before you bought her? I hope you find some answers to this dilemma.

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Nope, she wasn't born on our farm but I'm sure her horns were not banded. Her tail was, but not the other end! Thanks for the good wishes!

4. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I have almost no experience but if I think horns are kind of like bones so maybe not enough calcium or protein?

5. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    I did end up snipping the second horn off today... hope I did the right thing. I sprayed it with blu-kote but didn't get to clean it up too well. I'm wondering how quickly horns grow, if maybe it's a consequence of being bottle fed.

6. the12catlady

the12catlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    She'll be ok - and they will grow back. sounds like she has "scurs" little nubbins of horns that don't get very big and are alwayse wobbly - one of my ewes has them (also 4! - she's a jacob's/shetland cross) as well as my mother's ram. they knock them off from time to time (mainly the ram...[​IMG]) so long as they arn't bleeding alot or dangling by a scrap of skin they heal without incident. DEFINATELY has NOTHING to do with being a bottle baby - or nutrition...
    Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by