jaerhons from ideal poultry?

oh, no no, i did understand that! :D

i just couldnt find any pics of chicks that seemed to show the comparison you described and was getting lots of pics of other breeds too that confused the issue... stupid google...

i was curious to see how distinct the diferences were at hatch and dif ages beyond. i just know some breeds that people consider autosexing can be easier than others, and not all are truly 100% autosexing, at least for beginners...

Even among true autosexing breeds, some strains have clearer sexing characteristics. For example, my Cream Legbars throw a few chicks that are a little ambiguous, but I have never had a doubt about the sex of my Welbar or Rhodebar chicks. Even the hardest to sex at hatch become very easy at about a week of age because the incoming primary feathers are so much whiter on the males. This is very true also with all the black barred breeds, Cali Greys and Barred Rocks, for ex. I have even had some black sexlinks that looked like females because I couldn't see a headspot, but are very obviously male when I see their feathers growing in.

thank you both for the info! truly, every bit helps!

google is often not my friend it seems...

btw, email communications with both privett and ideal were somewhat unproductive and unenlightening, without going into detail, and privett claimed they cannot ship to HI anyhow. (we have ordered other breeds from ideal before and were quite happy).

one almost gets the impression sometimes large hatcheries dont really even know much about what they are selling...

i would happily buy hatching eggs from small breeders who are more devoted and knowledgable about the particular, breed but because hawaii requires special paperwork this can be a hassle for the little guys--hence my curiosity about the traits of ideals stock....

anyway, its a bit frustrating... but thanks a lot for the kind help! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom