Jail Break

deegee68

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I am posting just to vent a little. My three girls are driving me crazy. Last year was my first year with them and they ate all of my flowers and my veggies, so this year I added a fence element to the mix. I planted a small winter garden with some lettuce, greens and broccoli and I surrounded it with a small fence, it kept them out for a long long time.

I also put up a temporary four foot fence around the patio to keep them off the patio. Worked for a couple of weeks.

THEN THIS HAPPENED!

We were gone for the day and came home and one dug under the garden fence and had a buffet and ate it all! The other two flew over the fence onto the patio and ate all of my flowers. I am so frustrated!

I think it might be time to try clipping there wings.

I'm surprised they didn't hop those fences sooner. Do your chickens have a run? If not, you might consider adding one to your set up, then you can let them out when you can supervise and redirect them away from your garden and patio. Otherwise, they'll continue to hop those fences and run amok. I think even if you clip wings, they'll still be able to hop a 4ft fence no problem. Either coop them, add a 6ft fence around the patio and garden or just accept the fact that you'll be cleaning poop of the patio and growing the garden for the birds.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom