Most folks haven’t had much luck with it in your area. It needs cold winter dormancy and air that’s a little more humid than you usually get. Around here we’re pretty dry too - summer humidity is usually in the teens or higher, but not as hot and dry as you get.

Yeah the cold dormancy could definitely be an issue. It's been so warm this winter! I'll be surprised if we get enough chill hours for the fruit trees to set... Maybe it's not that bad, but we're still hitting the 60s on warm days!

Speaking of fermenting... Besides your chicken feed what's y'all's favorite ferment food? I haven't done anything like that before, so maybe something a bit more foolproof.

What a great thread! I love how related to chickens it is ;)

Lazy Gardener, appreciate that tip about the pectin! Always looking for a low sugar option.

Last year I grew ground cherries and boy did they ever get out of control! Tons of delicious prolific tropical tasting fruits. I ate tons of them, gave them away in paper bags and my mom hammered them. Anyhow, I still had more than I could eat, off the one plant by the way, so I decided to try a ground cherry pepper jam. I am not much for measuring, but the results were delicious! Great with cheese and crackers or as a sandwich spread. I did not use pectin seeing as I did not have any on hand. I used lemon rinds, finely chopped. It worked well to thicken it up.

Couple cups (give or take) ground cherries
1/8 cup sugar
3 spicy peppers, chopped - seeds in or out depending on spicy you want it. If you've only got mild peppers, add some hot red pepper flakes.
lemon juice from one lemon
zest and rind from one or two lemons, minced
splash of red wine vinegar.

Cooked down til thick then put it in jars. They sealed nicely without processing. This makes about 1 1/2 cups of jam. I'm sure that the yield would be better with pectin.
I made a second batch and added onions and it was also good - just a bit more savory.

Anyone else have ideas for ground cherries? I plan on growing more and I would love to try other things...

Yeah the cold dormancy could definitely be an issue. It's been so warm this winter! I'll be surprised if we get enough chill hours for the fruit trees to set... Maybe it's not that bad, but we're still hitting the 60s on warm days!

Speaking of fermenting... Besides your chicken feed what's y'all's favorite ferment food? I haven't done anything like that before, so maybe something a bit more foolproof.
Kraut!!! Delicious and easy!

Back
Top Bottom