Jan. 2022 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Here at 4 AM, 4 eggs have internally pipped, 2 have externally pipped backwards and upside down. These two are from a new layer, so not unexpected. They may need help later. Placed safety holes. 4 still working on internally pipping. Going to be a long day!
:fl:fl Sending lots of positive waves! Post pictures when you can!

:fl:fl Sending lots of positive waves! Post pictures when you can!
Thanks!❤️ I will. I made the pipped hole a little bigger so I can see it's beak and turned it right side up so the hole would not be occluded. Also have a safety hole at the end of the egg, in case it turns itself around. Moved it to the front of the incubator so I can see it better. The little one is chirping off and on, so that's a good sign! This egg is from one of my pullets that I did not even know was laying yet. Her eggs and one of my hens looks almost identical. Realized it was hers only a few days ago (slightly lighter in color).

Thanks!❤️ I will. I made the pipped hole a little bigger so I can see it's beak and turned it right side up so the hole would not be occluded. Also have a safety hole at the end of the egg, in case it turns itself around. Moved it to the front of the incubator so I can see it better. The little one is chirping off and on, so that's a good sign! This egg is from one of my pullets that I did not even know was laying yet. Her eggs and one of my hens looks almost identical. Realized it was hers only a few days ago (slightly lighter in color).
Any little chicks yet?

No progress yet! None of the others have hatched either so that’s reassuring. The little malpositioned one is doing fine and I can still see the beak clicking so still absorbing the yolk. I couldn’t see the beak for a while so I tried peeling back a small amount of membrane, it started to bleed a little, so I dabbed it with a Q-tip and left it alone after that. Obviously not ready for intervention. My Silkie eggs normally hatch day 20 on the nose, today is day 20. I did have them incubating for the majority of their incubation time in a little side room I use as an office instead of the living room where I normally have them.
Ambient temperature and humidity difference in the room may have affected their incubation time. Only thing I can think of anyway!
So a long day will turn into a long night but there should be chicks at the end of it!🥰

The malpositioned chick just hatched! Was a partial assist in that we had to loosen up some of the membrane and shell but she was able to unzip the rest out on her own. So important for their leg strength to kick that shell off!😊
Now just have to wait for the others. Expect them to hatch by tomorrow.
79380ACC-3120-4FC6-B625-6F677B715E12.jpeg

The malpositioned chick just hatched! Was a partial assist in that we had to loosen up some of the membrane and shell but she was able to unzip the rest out on her own. So important for their leg strength to kick that shell off!😊
Now just have to wait for the others. Expect them to hatch by tomorrow.View attachment 2973017
Congratulations - she is precious!! :love I definitely agree about letting the chick kick itself the rest of the way out the shell!

Back
Top Bottom