Jan 28th Hatch date. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TCollier, Jan 20, 2012.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Just candled my eggs that are due to hatch on Jan 28th. Out of 42 I started 35 are alive and developing just fine. 7 never started. Any body else due to hatch on the 28th? I love this incubator I built it works great.

2. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    Sheboygan, WI
    I'm a tad behind you, I'm due the 31st and 2nd. What did you build for an incubator? I am currently working on a cabinet. I should have it done tomorrow and will move everything over if it works this weekend.

3. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I built a cabinet incubator out of birch plywood. Used GQF Heating element and Wafer thermostat and 110 v fan. Has automatic humidity controlled by a float to keep the water in it and full but not allowing it to overfill. At day 18 I put in a humidity pad and it brings the humidity up to about 65%. I put a LG automatic turner in it too. Only time I have to open the door is to candle and add the humidity pad. Everything else is done from the outside.

4. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    Sheboygan, WI
    Sounds similar to mine. Building it out of birch plywood, but it is going in the dining room so I need a nice maple door and top. I have a combo wafer thermostat (back-up) and digital thermostat (primary) Heating for now is two lightbulbs. Have two 110 VAC fans for air movement down a false back. Three shelfs that piviot with egg trays on them, so it holds 90 eggs on the shelves and it will have one or two hatching trays. I am going to put in a water tube so I can fill the water pan from the outside and I still need to figure out a turning method. It will be manual but I want to keep it on the outside so I don't have to open the door, but I do not want a rod coming out of the top, it will double as a printer stand so the top has to stay flat.

5. chicken poo

chicken poo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    newville pa

you could run a rod off your pivot point on your turners..out the side and either using small gearing to a crank (like a jack in the box) or just use a push pull rod...

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    we are due on the 28th ! I only got 2 out of 10 eggs. I just hope it will survive !!

7. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Going to candle the eggs one more time tonight and make sure they are all still good. Tomorrow when I get up I will add the humidity pad and turn off the turner and hopefully Saturday I will have 35 chicks.

8. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    We have a hatch set for the 27/28, too.

These poor eggs took an extra week to get here, apparently the Post Office didn't think they were a "Priority"........[​IMG]

But the good news is that of the 15 Barnevelder eggs we received, it looks like 14 are good and will go into lockdown tomorrow AM. And 5 of the 9 Mottled Javas, too. So exciting!!

9. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Candled them last night again and it still looks like I have 35 doing good. Turned of the turner and they are in lockdown. Fingers are crossed for Saturday.

10. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    yay! we are gonna lockdown ours tonight when we got home from work !, ours will hatch Saturday, hopefully earlier !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by