JAN 28th HATCH!!! Who's with me?!?

I take them out as needed too. Since quail don't have the same reserves as other poultry they need to be removed as soon as they are dry. I have been fine doing this, and I also do this with chickens.

Ok... I have a question... If a chick begins to get shrink wrapped, is it possible to bring the humidity back up and it can the membrane get wet enough for it to still hatch or would it stay stuck? If I had a little door to open i wouldn't be so worried about it but I have to lift up the whole lid so i would lose a lot of humidity...

I know i could take it into a bathroom and let it steam up but one bathroom, the shower does not work (faucets are rusted on and we haven't been able to get them off to fix them) and the other bathroom is huge and I would never be able to build up enough steam....

Goddess
jumpy.gif

It is possible, but I rarely ever get shrink wrapped chicks. The only ones that do that to me are ones that are coming out a few days late. If it happens I cover the egg with a damp paper towel to wet the membrane. It works great, but if it gets really bad you will have to give the chick a sponge bath and get the membrane off. I had to do this with a guinea, and it did great after it was out.

Well, maybe tomorrow I will just get a small towel wet with warm water and get all the chicks out and cover the eggs that haven't hatched.. Maybe I will get lucky and all the ones that are pipped will be hatched out tomorrow... But, I'm almost certain that I have two dead chicks in there.. They pipped but one pipped through the yolk and the other pipped through a vein... I really want to get those out of there too, even worse than the live chicks running around... I don't know yet.. Like I said, I'm terrified about letting the humidity out..

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Ok... I have officially lost count... I THINK I have 24.... I'm going to have a few beers, go to bed and TRY my best to steam up the big bathroom tomorrow and get the chicks out..
lau.gif

eta: Oh, and no... I don't drink all the time... Just taking advantage of DH being off for once..
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
OMG!!! Got home to find two more chicks two zipped and three pips!!!
We have two pink eggs hatched, one had a yellow gray chick in it, one had a brown black Silverish chick with a bright yellow butt.
Then was a small green egg which had a neon yellow chick!!
We followed that with a BCM and now a second BCM.
Another BCM is zipped and one more is pipped, two rocking. And another pink egg is pipped!!
Gotta go download pics

I might try the cloth thing as well I have two that pipped yesterday and thats it.
sad.png

I am at work tonight and I have baby chicks on the brain, I put them out in the brooder and I hope they are warm enough but not too warm and I hope they found the water dish even though I showed them like 15 times before I left. I will be so broken hearted if I come home and they didn't make it!!! But I needed to make room in the incubator just too many chicks running all over the place! So far I think 10 hatched in the last 24 hours, so I assume most are done unless I can convice those two still in shells to come out.

Back
Top Bottom