Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I forced this hen to go broody- she is setting on black copper marans and tan- delaware eggs.(7- I ate one to see if it was fertile.) I put a warm blanket over a lay pen put her and the eggs in checked on her, 2 were not under- tucked those 2. she is a charcol cochin/silky mix.

this is her raising ducks. she must have done a good job- I always saw the ducks give her a nod as they passed.

Last edited:
I forced this hen to go broody- she is setting on black copper marans and tan- delaware eggs.(7- I ate one to see if it was fertile.) I put a warm blanket over a lay pen put her and the eggs in checked on her, 2 were not under- tucked those 2. she is a charcol cochin/silky mix.
How do you force a hen to go broody?

she is a silky bantam mix for one, and you just have to show her a dark room and eggs for the other-

the black chick is her daughter 3 months old- she had taken over sitting on these 6 week old babies.

Last edited:
My chirping eggs have become chirping eggs and one pipped egg! I got to watch the Pip happen right in front of me... and right before bed of course. 9_9 Just my luck I will wake up tommorow and they will have finished hatching already right before I have to run to the feed store...

Last edited:
Just finished day 7 candle! Out of 25, I couldn't see veins in 6 of them (had a hard time even seeing in a few of them...) and one I think quite possibly has a blood ring (I will take it out in a day or two if I has no development) I will candle all of the ones I couldn't see veins in again on day 10. I am so excited to have so many that are progressing on my first hatch!!! I thought for sure half of them would end up being duds.
wee.gif

Here are a couple of my eggs:

Obviously this was the first one I candled...I don't quite have the hang of it yet...

On some of my eggs I wasn't able to distinguish an air cell...would that be a dud for sure or something I might see when I candle again on day 10?

Back
Top Bottom