Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Yeah, well I just don't want a rush of sorting the chicks into their brooder in the morning right before I go out to the feed store... With my luck that will be exactly what happens though!

Run of the mill! 15 breeds of hens, only 6 roosters. My 4th hatch of the year is due next week. A lot of EE and red leghorn. And a little bit of everything else.
yippiechickie.gif

I candled all my eggs tonight. 12 out of the 22 are viable w/ veins thus far. The remaining 10 were hard to tell most of them were the darkest of the quail eggs. I'll check again Sunday to see how things are going. First time with quail eggs but if I get 12 out of 22 I'll be happy. I ordered 18 but they gave extras. I actually received 25 but 3 cracked before getting to the bator(my fault). Keeping fingers cross that all goes well.

A question about incubation....do the eggs/chicks themselves seem to increase in temps when night time arrives? Does anyone have to tweak the incubator to bring down temps after dark and then increase them when daylight comes?

A question about incubation....do the eggs/chicks themselves seem to increase in temps when night time arrives? Does anyone have to tweak the incubator to bring down temps after dark and then increase them when daylight comes?
HI,
My experience has been the opposite...............I just do not change the temp because I am afraid it will
go to high............never had a problem if it dipped a little..........
I don't know if the chicks cause the difference...................
big_smile.png

Nah, chicks don't have anything to do with the temps dropping. But room temperature does. I am like chicky..I don't touch the temp knob. It will dip a bit at night if the room gets cooler at night. Then go back up in the day when the room gets warmer. :) Tweaking will drive you nuts! Best only do that if the temp gets too high.

A question about incubation....do the eggs/chicks themselves seem to increase in temps when night time arrives?  Does anyone have to tweak the incubator to bring down temps after dark and then increase them when daylight comes? 
never had to tweak it just for night but around day 10/11 I have to tweak it seems like the eggs start producing a small amount of their own heat

Back
Top Bottom