Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

My first chick just cut it's toe in the fan in my incubator! I put Neosporin on it's toe and the bleeding has stopped but I think it might be broken because the chick doesn't curl it with the other toes.
Is there anything else I can do?

My first chick just cut it's toe in the fan in my incubator! I put Neosporin on it's toe and the bleeding has stopped but I think it might be broken because the chick doesn't curl it with the other toes.
Is there anything else I can do?

Oh wow, how in the world did that little stinker do that?

Neo is a good thing to do. Not sure there is much more you can do. Watch it, try and keep it clean..clean bedding. My guess it will be fine. You can always tape it if you think it is broken. Let it stay a couple of days taped, but if it isn't bending it anyway???

It was a still-air incubator but I made a fan and set it in there, but even after I cut my finger in the fan I never thought about the chicks.
Thanks for the info, Do you know what kind of tape I can use?

If you are worried about it being broken, which we aren't sure right...? It seems it would flop if it were. But vet wrap would be ok for a while. It will take a long time for the cut to heal. I really think keeping it clean is the best for it now, and putting the neo on it. Clean it a few times a day, put new neo on it.

I really believe that it is a good thing that you got this baby out, and not leave it over night. I've done that, when everything is looking good, and I think, it will kick itself free now. But, stays in there, with the humidity, the bottom of the egg "stuff" near it's navel area is sooo in trouble if bacteria starts to develop. Here a great article on it. I've had it happen a couple of times now, they just can't make it if the yolk gets infected.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Edit to say, if you haven't already, smother the navel area with neosporin. :)
Good info..I think I need to watch out for that with my other one also that hasn't been moving around much.

So, I think the first of my 2 chicks that had a few issue might possibly have splayed leg. It cannot stand on it"s own and kept laying on it's left side (which wasn't drying out and looked like the wing was possibly not doing well, but I took it out cleaned it up and helped pulled the legs underneath with a paper towel it was on and it seemed to do a little better. Here's a pic

I have read about using a bandaid for a splint..I think I'm going to try that unless someone thinks I should do something different. My first thought is the chick needs to be dried off before splinting. Have any of you had experience with splayed leg? Any tips? As always I appreciate any advice!

if it's cut I wouldn't put tape on the wound area, I would let the skin cut heal first... or use something cloth/gauze against the cut (not sticky tape)

if it is crooked, you can make chick sandals out of band-aids. the sticky residue from band-aids is easily removed with baby oil

check out this link on making sandals: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Quote:

Quote: Ok, thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom