Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

HI,
I cannot tell from the picture if the legs are splayed.
Want to suggest that sometimes they just need more time.I had one like that last hatch...just could not stand.
what I do is take a wash cloth..fold it into a circle to look like a donut.............put the little guy/gal in the middle to allow it support to keep from falling over.........
Mine was fine after two days without any other help. Hope all goes well..............
big_smile.png

that's what I think too...too early yet to know if its actually a problem
Ok cool I will see how it does I'll keep you guys updated.

And on my lil chick #17 is doing pretty good...still sleeping a lot but is all nice and dry now, moving around some.

Just put in eggs yesterday. The lights went off today and stayed that way for four hours. My question is will the eggs be alright?

Last edited:
Did they have detached air cells ? how far away did they ship from?

hi, shipped eggs are really a crapshoot, if you can get eggs locally (or drive to pick them up) it is SOOO worth it...

I have received not-detached air cells from the furthest possible locations from me: Florida and Alabama (to Oregon). I thought these would be SOO damaged but they arrived in tact, maybe they were put on an airplane and handled less?

For the Alabama to OR shipment I had a 100% hatch rate on those eggs. The one and only time. They were Marans and Welsummers and I couldnt candle them very much, so I was pretty hands-off on that hatch with regard to candling them or rotating the eggs around.

The FL to OR hatch did arrived not-detached, but I only had 3 hatch out of 7 that made it to lockdown (9 received) so maybe 35% hatch rate there, not good. I think that the chicks that died between lockdown and hatch time were my fault (or my still-air), not due to shipping.

most of the shipments I get are detached..
I have received eggs from California about 4-5 times, different sellers, all detached and sometimes cracked (not that far of a journey), 50% hatch rates on all those.
Eggs from IL to OR were 100% detatched, had 50% hatch rate.

on the topic of detached air cells, I follow a slightly different protocol for these eggs and it seems to have helped my hatch rates slightly:
  • rest 24hr
  • begin increasing temperature slowly over 8hrs
  • add to incubator, but do not turn for the first 48 hrs - then begin normal turning
  • candle within the incubator, do not remove until day 15.
    the air cell takes 2 weeks to re-heal. I must avoid turning the eggs on their side, only candle upright
  • stop turning early, on day 16 instead of 18.
  • hatch upright in egg cartons (not on their sides)

hi, shipped eggs are really a crapshoot, if you can get eggs locally (or drive to pick them up) it is SOOO worth it...

I have received not-detached air cells from the furthest possible locations from me: Florida and Alabama (to Oregon). I thought these would be SOO damaged but they arrived in tact, maybe they were put on an airplane and handled less?

For the Alabama to OR shipment I had a 100% hatch rate on those eggs. The one and only time. They were Marans and Welsummers and I couldnt candle them very much, so I was pretty hands-off on that hatch with regard to candling them or rotating the eggs around.

The FL to OR hatch did arrived not-detached, but I only had 3 hatch out of 7 that made it to lockdown (9 received) so maybe 35% hatch rate there, not good. I think that the chicks that died between lockdown and hatch time were my fault (or my still-air), not due to shipping.

most of the shipments I get are detached..
I have received eggs from California about 4-5 times, different sellers, all detached and sometimes cracked (not that far of a journey), 50% hatch rates on all those.
Eggs from IL to OR were 100% detatched, had 50% hatch rate.

Its funny you have had 100% detached from IL. I think it is our post office people here because so far I have gotten 4 shipments and all of them had at least 50% detached aircells and every order had at least one cracked egg. They were all packaged slightly different so I am going to say it is the post office especially considering what I witnessed when I shipped eggs out of the main post office here in town.

Here are some of my chicks that hatched on Valentines. I am guessing the one is a frizzle? The other one has a few feathers trying to flip up but most of them seem smooth. I am enjoying the little ones. I was worried about them getting cold so my husband helped me move our brooder inside.

Here are some of my chicks that hatched on Valentines. I am guessing the one is a frizzle? The other one has a few feathers trying to flip up but most of them seem smooth. I am enjoying the little ones. I was worried about them getting cold so my husband helped me move our brooder inside.

SO adorable!

Back
Top Bottom