Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

on the topic of detached air cells, I follow a slightly different protocol for these eggs and it seems to have helped my hatch rates slightly:
  • rest 24hr
  • begin increasing temperature slowly over 8hrs
  • add to incubator, but do not turn for the first 48 hrs - then begin normal turning
  • candle within the incubator, do not remove until day 15.
    the air cell takes 2 weeks to re-heal. I must avoid turning the eggs on their side, only candle upright
  • stop turning early, on day 16 instead of 18.
  • hatch upright in egg cartons (not on their sides)
Farmer, how do you candle within the bator? Do you have a large bator or...?

I have a storebought styrofoam incubator... I lift the top of the incubator off and set it on the table, then all the tops of the eggs are exposed to air (I also try to give them 10-15m/day cooling time without the lid on , like a hen would). I wait until nighttime and turn off all the lights, then I put the flashlight right down on top of the eggs in their turner without removing them.

I have a storebought styrofoam incubator... I lift the top of the incubator off and set it on the table, then all the tops of the eggs are exposed to air (I also try to give them 10-15m/day cooling time without the lid on , like a hen would). I wait until nighttime and turn off all the lights, then I put the flashlight right down on top of the eggs in their turner without removing them.
Nice! Sounds like a good way to do it. I will try that next hatch! Do you weigh your eggs or go by how big the air cell is?

Still waiting on these last 2 eggs in the bator...No pips, nothing. What is today? Day 22?..Yeah, I think so lol I'm tired...I think I need more sleep! lol

How is your baby doing? Is it starting to sit up? On it's butt? lol..sometimes they do that, and I like calling it..the paddle walk. They will paddle along on the butts with their legs/feet kicking out in front of them. Some do this for a while until they get the hang of their own little chicken legs. :D

Ive had shipped eggs with 100% hatch rate

Did they have detached air cells ? how far away did they ship from?

I just had a batch of shipped eggs that had 100% hatch rate! First ever :) (8 out of 8) and the air sacs were scalloped... The other batch had 19 out of 22 make it to lockdown (2 were infertile and one early quitter), all 19 hatched! Well, the last one is zipping as I speak. Sleepless nights!! I am soooo tired. Going to sleep now. G'night!

Nice! Sounds like a good way to do it. I will try that next hatch! Do you weigh your eggs or go by how big the air cell is?

I go by weight, tracking it on day 0 7 14 and 18... harder to do if they are detached, they would miss the day 7 weigh and d14 weigh would be on d15.
on day 0 I calculate 13% loss, usually 6-7g depending on weight, and then I look for about 2-2.5g weight loss per week (guessing egg weight is usually around 55g) which I track on a piece of paper.
I am trying to use their under/over weights from day 18 to predict who hatches first... still working on that
wink.png

Last edited:
Another early morning.... Woke up to 4 babies out in the bator and two more zipping
celebrate.gif
One must have pipped and either I didn't see it or it did it all in the night....waiting for them to finish so I can do a quick cleanup and look at the other eggs...

How is your baby doing? Is it starting to sit up? On it's butt? lol..sometimes they do that, and I like calling it..the paddle walk. They will paddle along on the butts with their legs/feet kicking out in front of them. Some do this for a while until they get the hang of their own little chicken legs. :D
Well, the one I helped hatch seemed to be doing ok last night, but this morning it was hardly moving/ barely breathing doesn't seem to have enough energy to peep. it's very weak, almost limp. I tried to get a little bit of electrolyte water in it (hard to do when it wouldn't open it's mouth) I tried just putting tiny drops to it's beak (I don't want to drown it) I was able to get it to take a few drops. It started to open it's mouth more after that, like it was trying to peep but no noise came out. I feel like if that doesn't help it then it will die.( I will try giving water again.
Found one this morning dead (one that was active so I don't know what was wrong with it...Unfortunately my daughter's favorite one *sigh* My DH said they were all alive at 5 so...?)
The one that couldn't get up on it's own is doing better..still gets stuck on it's back and peeps like crazy, I can stand it up and it will stay that way and walk to the water and drink...until someone knocks it over then it has a hard time flipping back (progress though) I do think there might be a problem with it wing (looks odd) but maybe it's just from falling over and trying to get up and it gets messy looking instead of smooth. Thanks for asking!

I know that sometimes chicks just die (I keep trying to remind myself of that...) but would like to make sure I give them the best chance

Edited to add: I just went to check on it...it died
sad.png
I'm sad, but kinda knew it would..I just hope that's it. Everybody else looks/acts healthy
fl.gif

Last edited:
I go by weight, tracking it on day 0 7 14 and 18... harder to do if they are detached, they would miss the day 7 weigh and d14 weigh would be on d15.
on day 0 I calculate 13% loss, usually 6-7g depending on weight, and then I look for about 2-2.5g weight loss per week (guessing egg weight is usually around 55g) which I track on a piece of paper.
I am trying to use their under/over weights from day 18 to predict who hatches first... still working on that
wink.png
Cool sounds like you have a pretty good system

Back
Top Bottom