Janet & Henrietta - breed /sex thoughts?

drthomcheese

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
Hi everyone! I had previously had a thread for a handful of chickens (including these 2), but wanted to steer my focus on figuring out what these could be.

They are 8.5 weeks old 11/15 (born within same day or two of each other).

Janet (Grey) we are figuring roo at this point, but hoping maybe one of the rare instances she is a she. My neighbor who gave us the chickens tends to think "she" is, but will see in the coming weeks.

Henrietta (brownish mix) we are hoping is a girl because of how well "she" does at being picked up and petted.

Additionally from figuring out pullets or not... Any thoughts on breeds /breed mix?
Would their feet feathers be considered booted, if not booted is their another name for this "style"?

Neighbor that I got them from keeps all his chickens mixed so nobody is really 100%, lol, but would love some guesses from the pros. 😉

Attachments

• 20221114_162631.jpg
    20221114_162631.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221114_163216.jpg
    20221114_163216.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221114_164113.jpg
    20221114_164113.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221114_163226.jpg
    20221114_163226.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221114_162753.jpg
    20221114_162753.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221114_162745.jpg
    20221114_162745.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221114_162750.jpg
    20221114_162750.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I had previously had a thread for a handful of chickens (including these 2), but wanted to steer my focus on figuring out what these could be.

Janet (Grey) we are figuring roo at this point, but hoping maybe one of the rare instances she is a she. My neighbor who gave us the chickens tends to think "she" is, but will see in the coming weeks.

Henrietta (brownish mix) we are hoping is a girl because of how well "she" does at being picked up and petted.

Additionally from figuring out pullets or not... Any thoughts on breeds /breed mix?
Would their feet feathers be considered booted, if not booted is their another name for this "style"?

Neighbor that I got them from keeps all his chickens mixed so nobody is really 100%, lol, but would love some guesses from the pros. 😉
How old are they?
The brown one is a Buff Brahama and the grey one I believe is a Blue Cochin.
Chickens with feathered legs are just called feathered legged chickens.

How old are they?
Whoops! Forgot to add their age, I've edited my original post. But they are 8.5 weeks old 😊

How old are they?
Thank you! I knew feathered legs /feet had something to do with brahma. Love their Furry feet

The Buff Brahma is a pullet and the Blue Cochin is a cockerel.
Is the blue cochin red waddles the giveaway? Or are there other things? These are my first chickens and trying to learn as much as I can. Watching them grow has been really fun and have enjoyed learning more about them

Is the blue cochin red waddles the giveaway? Or are there other things? These are my first chickens and trying to learn as much as I can. Watching them grow has been really fun and have enjoyed learning more about them
At his age I'm looking at comb development. Once he get to about to 12 weeks old male specific feathering should be coming in.

The Buff Brahma is a pullet and the Blue Cochin is a cockerel.
That is not a Buff Brahma nor is it a pullet. He has sex-specific feathering on the shoulders and has what appears to a cushion or perhaps rose comb. The blue bird is also a cockerel and not a Cochin. This bird has a modified pea comb while Cochins have single. Both are mixed breed cockerels.

That is not a Buff Brahma nor is it a pullet. He has sex-specific feathering on the shoulders and has what appears to a cushion or perhaps rose comb. The blue bird is also a cockerel and not a Cochin. This bird has a modified pea comb while Cochins have single. Both are mixed breed cockerels.
Oh, oops.

For helping me learn, what makes it sex specific? The darker part before it hits the orange ish brown?
What would be your best guess at part of the breed mix?
Bummer, already was pretty sure Grey was a rooster but had my hopes up on the other since it didn't have much red

Back
Top Bottom