Janie is Hurting, Advice?

I get it - Pumpkin Pi
ya.gif

Hope your poochie makes a full recovery
fl.gif
:hugs

You may still want to look into steroid injections. My sisters jack russell was a jumper, she did hours and hours of catching a tennis ball in the air over many years, which eventually fractured a disc in her back. My sister opted for steroid injections and crating to cut her activity, over surgery or euthanasia. This happened about 3 years ago and Clem is doing great. She no longer gets to play "catch".

You also may look into building portable steps up to the higher places she likes to visit. Just a couple levels would keep her from having to jump so far.

BTW, my sisters vet is an older large animal vet. He does not x-ray, he diagnoses on the owners verbal report, visual and physical exam only.

Good luck and I hope everything goes good for your pet.

^Son is just itching to build her stairs... for the chair... for the loveseat... for the couch... for EVERYTHING... that boy was born with sawdust on the brain... wait... that didn't sound right but you know what I mean.

Saw a thing about the shots, but that scares me to bits... not as much as surgery but still... needles and spines *shiver*. But I'll definitely keep that in mind... I'd rather do that then skip straight to killing her... we'll see where we're at in a week!

Thanks again guys and dolls for all the WoW, experiences, ideas, support and happy healing thoughts.

Steroids are amazing things. I bet you see improvement really soon. And pain meds will just make her that much more comfy. Now that you have the meds, you can look at Fosters & Smith (btw, I've used them for years. Good company, fast service!) and price out what you need. Then if it's cheaper than the vet charges, tell them you want a 'script. It shouldn't be a problem. Crate rest is probably also a good idea with her type of injury. One the steroid starts helping the inflammation, she needs to let some healing take place. (This all from my daughter, who is a vet nurse.)

I hope Janie starts feeling like her old self very soon!!

Pineapple, don't look at it as "killing." Otherwise it makes you talk yourself out of it, even though it may be the best thing once all other options are exhausted.

Consider it the ultimate gift you can give your family member. Or, at the very least, a release from her physical form which is failing her.

I agree to trying all other options, or at least those within your reach, but please do not beat yourself up if the ultimate decision is to release her from her pain.

Will acupuncture help? It is usually relatively inexpensive and effective in my experience.

They went and moved my topic on me, sorry for putting in the wrong place to start!!

But here's an update... once the pain med kicked in that helped, she isn't huffing like she was... I recognize that since I don't fuss when I'm in pain either I sigh/huff, but no moaning. So that's stopped and that's a relief to me, and I know to her.

I think the steroids are helping. Been keeping her bedded down... bringing her food and water ... taking her out and placing in grass for bathroom breaks. No #2 as yet, but she is drinking, nose is no longer dry, and she's tinkling well. Appetite has come back, but not as strong as it was... maybe we'll see a number 2 soon. A couple times she has walked, if we leave the room she'll follow... always has been that way... hasn't been able to really, but now she's trying. Put her back in bed just now and she waddled the oh 8 feet or so to plant herself under my feet... so she's getting her motivation back... good news I think. Walking is improving. Legs are not crumbling under her, but she's still wobbly... like her tail and her head are in a disagreement about which way to go... not as much as before, but some.

So, definite improvement in mobility, appetite and drinking and I think attitude as well. Only started the meds Saturday night, so I'm very pleased to already see some improvement... vet said "If no improvement in a week" so I was worried it'd take that long to see any change. I think it bodes well that she's had this much improvement already...
fl.gif
that I'm right about that.

RP... Used to I could say Euth, Put Down, etc in a sentence but now I just feel like an idiot saying it... because that's just not what it is in my mind... before it was an amorphous thing... stupid prolly, head in sand, but I've just never been there before... saying killing isn't talking me OUT of the possibility (mind I'm not saying that to the kids or anything, just me/on here) but it's helping me accept what it really is... MERCY killing... that's what I've got to accept... and I'm working on it. Hope to hades I don't end up needing that acceptance, but just in case...

Thanks again you guys for listening and the advice... it's been a roller coaster to say the least.

as a dachshund lover like you, i had one go down in the back, he didn't respond to the steroids and muscle relaxers, he just wasn't good ol charlie anymore, he got worse and went completely flaccid in the rear, no deep pain, couldn't empty his bladder, he was in pain and i won't have a dog dragging itself around, i opted to euthanize him, it was really hard but he was never going to happy in the shape he was in, i miss my little buddy, when looking for the dachshund make sure it has sufficiant length of ribbing and keel, the length of the dachshund is not to be in the loin, it's in the ribbing, watch breeders who don't know of this because it does cut down on the amount pressure on the back, just a little fact, i'm sorry you're going through this, hope the meds work

So far they seem to be... keep
fl.gif
though.

As to choosing... there wasn't any choice in the matter. Mom had an extra puppy and was leaving for Vegas so it was "Happy Mother's Day Piney"... the following year it was the same thing but Sis, and of course Sis being Sis that lasted two weeks before Lilly came to us.

Looking into all this stuff I'm thinking now that Lilly was the runt or something because she's got a "weak" backside from what I've read... maybe? Doesn't matter now, and she's NOT a climber... of course, if that is a weak bum like I think that explains why. But anywho their our doggies and we love them warts and all... hopefully she'll regain function and get back to herself.

DH got home since the last post and Janie got up and wanted to go greet him with the other two ... hollared for him to hurry and get back here and he did... so attitude is getting normal, and she's interested in getting about... but I'm still keeping her pretty well stuck in bed.

Back
Top Bottom