Janie is Hurting, Advice?

Today is Janie's last 1 pill a day day... then none tomorrow, one Wednesday, none Thurs, one Friday and we're out.

No further improvement... but she insists on walking back and forth all over the place. Trying to keep her reined in and she'll climb OVER obstructions. *sigh* Spirit is a good thing right?
hmm.png

Anywho, not real thrilled at the moment... still hoping she'll pull through and quit hurting.
fl.gif

No pill yesterday, one pill today... sometimes she takes a few steps like she used to... then her feet just plop.

I donno whether she's getting better or this is the best she'll get or if she'll get worse.

Mom was by yesterday and said that this is exactly what happened to Doodles, Janie's dad. Started like she is, eventually both legs dragged behind him and they put him down. I don't know if Doodles was hurting, or just numb... if hurting then absolutely euth was the best option, but if he was just numb... could they have done a wheelchair? Should they have? I didn't mention any of that to Mom, she was getting upset just remembering... but I'm curious since we may be in the same position.

If she goes limp, but still hurting, I think the best option would be Euth.

But if she goes limp, but is NOT in pain... wheel chair?? Thoughts?

Those buggers are expensive so I started snooping on ebay... anyone think something like this one below would work? Looks like something we could actually build ourselves for quite a bit less than their asking price, but I donno... anyone experienced in this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dog-Wheelchair-...914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5fbced4a

Info appreciated.

Also worrisome is the cleaning thing. She cannot bend around and tend to herself and I think that's annoying her. Can't say for sure, don't speak dog, but I think so. I'm kind of afraid to give her a bath though... what if she slips? Advice on that appreciated too.

So we got a bite and came back and DH reached down to give Janie a pat and she gave a yip and let loose with a splat of urine, twice. Then mosey'd into the kitchen and two more splats... not just the excited dribble either... which is troubling.

But between that and now she's also trying to do some grooming, giving herself a good shake (think dog just out of bath, that kind) which she hasn't done in a week, and she even gave their little stuffed bear a squeeze and a shake.

Takes a few spunky steps then plops... randomly.

Didn't do any of the above yesterday when NO PILL was given... yesterday really sucked actually. These things she did today when she did have one steroid pill.

HOLEY CRAP SHE JUST ROLLED ONLY HER BACK AND DID A WIGGLE!!!!
wee.gif

We haven't seen that in OVER a week... AWESOME!!

Does anyone know if it's safe for doggies to stay on steroids for longer than this time frame? All the experience I know of points to very short term usage... but I'm wondering if maybe the vet might consider even a 1/2 pill per day dose... or even a 1/day dose to keep this up?? What do y'all think... worth calling and asking?

It is always worth calling and asking, all they can say is no. It never hurts to ask. I hope that she feels better soon. It is so scary when they are not doing well and you can't "fix" it.

Melodie

Quote:
Exactly what she's on and DH said he thought maybe he'd heard something like that... glad to know it's the steroids to blame and not further damage or something! Thanks!

Quote:
Pretty much my thinking... I hate not being able to do anything so I'm wracking my brain. Hate to pay another $41.50 visit fee just for them to refuse to offer any more meds... but given how closemouthed they are that's prolly what they'll tell me is my only option... that they won't even ask a doc if that's possible over the phone. Very annoying.

Edit 7:22... went and gave them a call. Lady said she'll talk to the doc and get back to me. Just now she actually tried to scratch her ear with her left hind foot... hasn't even been willing to TRY that in nearly two weeks so that's HUGE to me!
big_smile.png

Edit again... just called me back. Want to do a recheck before assigning any meds... not too bent out of shape on that since I want them to check her deep tissue response... probably mean another 41.50 visit fee, but if it works to get her moving again... worth it. That's slated for 7:15pm on Friday, payday you know, and DH will be home so don't have to drag the kiddos with... and Friday will use up the last pill in the original script so perfect timing all around. Let's hope for happy thoughts for tomorrow, a no pill day!

Last edited:
Saw you mention this on the other thread, so I skimmed and got fairly caught up on what's going on. First, with the meds you listed from Foster's & Smith, you'd have to get Rxs to buy from them, but if you got your hands on those meds from another source, do not ever mix Rimadyl and steroids, as it will rip up her gut in no time flat and cause horrible ulcers. Also, lots of people have used Deramaxx with success, but I recommend against it as I've seen it cause liver failure multiple times.

Now that that's off my chest, back to the question you posed on the other thread - if surgery isn't an option, then yes, continuous low-dose steroids are completely reasonable if that's what it takes for her to feel good and have quality of life.

And the urine splatting thing likely has to do with both the fact that she's on the Pred, which increases thirst and urination, and with the fact that with her partial paralysis she may not be able to empty her bladder completely (because not only can she not feel it, but she can't "squat" normally) so you will need to watch her for signs of urinary tract infection, caused by urine retention.

Good luck with her!
smile.png

Thanks Clover, didn't know any of that drug stuff so very much appreciated.

Kinda annoying actually, with the drugs she was given it was just the bottle with the dosage on it... nothing like side effects, If You See This Call The Doc... you know, the typical stuff a human med would include, and the Vet didn't mention any of that either. I think that's odd anyways.

Care to elaborate on what to watch out for with doggie UTI?? I know humans, am one and all, but not doggies.

Pineapplemama--I had the same problem with my Standard Dachshund (29 lbs at perfect weight) several years ago. She was 9 years old and I took her in the day she acting like her back hurt as I knew they were prone to this problem.
sigh.gif

We tried the steroids first and they helped for almost a month. Unfortunately she got bad again and the steroids did not help enough anymore. I bit the bullet and had the proper testing done which showed her vertebrae pinched 7 of her discs so much that surgery was needed. I chose to have the surgery done at great cost to me. I made this crazy decision as I lived 3,000 miles from home and was still single--Rhoda was my closest--and only--family member at the time. I was not rich by any means but lucky enough to be able to borrow some of the money from my parents (I paid it back over several months) and cleaned out my puny savings account. I literally had to eat Ramen Noodles and beans and rice for the first few weeks (I never eat it anymore as I've had my fill) to save money.

The good news--Rhoda did FABULOUS! She was back to 100% normal a week after surgery and once the sutures were removed she was my sweet Rhoda again! I tell you this story so you know someone who went threw the extreme and had great results. I also lucked out as there was a board certified veterinary neurosurgeon who could do the surgery which probably helped give us a such a good outcome.

These days we are lucky enough to have two neurosurgeons in our area. We also have a certified veterinary acupuncturist AND chiropractor! You have more options these days and easier access to different modalities for her care. I imagine you have searched the Internet but my recommendation is to do it again--and again. Try Veterinary Universities and see if any would like you to have your dog's procure there (at a great discount) to allow students to watch it.

Steroid side effects--increased drinking and urination, panting and immune suppression which makes them more susceptible to infection. Long term use can shut down the adrenal gland--not a good thing but typically need high doses for that to occur. If it helps your dog and you have no other choice then it is worth the risk to keep her pain free.

I am rooting for her to feel much better
fl.gif

Quote:
If she's able to control her urination, frequency and straining. If she can reach (I know you said she hadn't been able to clean herself) excessive licking. ANY amount of visible blood in the urine is ALOT. It can be tricky to see signs of UTI with paralysis problems, because they can dribble, frequently, and it always looks like they're straining. I'm a big help, huh? You'll know something isn't "right" though. Oh, and I was going to add that Prednisone is SUPER cheap, so long term prescriptions for it shouldn't cost much...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom