January 1, 2011 Quail Hatch Along

I just checked my 11 eggs from my crew that were suppose to hatch thursday (18 days)...low and behold 5 out of 11 have big ol pips in them, baby chicks just peeping away in there. So I guess 16 days for my own eggs and 18+ for shipped eggs in the winter time!

Quote:
I can't find anything right now. Does it look like this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_104_0334.jpg
Na, that's my grain grinder, that I grind the Feed with.

Here's some babies to look at that are 3 and half days old. Yes, that was a clean tub about 5 hours before the pictures were taken.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_104_0336.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_104_0337.jpg
Now this girl is going to be a breeder. Wonder which male she'll choose and which of the other girls she will choose to hang out with?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_104_0338.jpg

Notice, they like it a little cooler this time around. 88*- 90* if I have it higher, they scatter around the waterer away from the light. Just to hot, and seeing they will be going outside to the big brooder, we'll keep them a little cooler and eating.

Awwwwww. They are cute! Newly hatched chicks (whatever kind) are always cute...

Float test was a negative... No rocking and rolling
sad.png
Back to the drawing board

More baby birdies
celebrate.gif

No, JJMR I am not going to give in and set more eggs (I can't yet, they just started laying again). Just because you outnumber us in chicks, even if we put all our numbers together.
lol.png

Just how many eggs did you set anyway? Well, maybe we don't want to know. I also have a feeling that you are still setting eggs as you pull them out, more go into the bator. Talk about a true hatchaholic.
hmm.png

I have detected signs that there are a few around here that have hatch fever.
big_smile.png
They are not so patiently waiting for warmer weather to come their way, watching the weather forecasts.
caf.gif
They live up in the cold northern states and don't want stinky little butts in the house for a month, or more.
lol.png
Can't say I blame them. It is so sad, really it is.
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
i am 1 of the "hatch fever" people ...i ALMOST decided to get the incubator out of winter retirement until i was reminded ( thank you again B.Cup!
hugs.gif
) about how much coturnix SMELL inside the house..........

136 SET

119 SUCESSFUL HATCH

17 LEFTOVERS FOR SHOOTING AT THE NEIGHBOR'S DOGS

50 FUZZBALLZ ALREADY LIQUIDATED
smile.png
AND WHO KNOW HOW MANY MORE LATER THIS WEEK???

I AM SEEING WHAT APPEARS TO BE FAWN AND WHITE EW'S/ A&M'S?/ MOBY QUAIL/ WHATEVER ---
smile.png
INTERESTING!
ep.gif

AND YES EDITH I AM MOVING A BATCH TO THE HATCHER TONIGHT AND WILL RE-SET THE EMPTY SPACE AS I AM UP TO ABOUT 100+ EGGS WAITING IN LINE FOR A SLOT IN THE BATOR (SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN I MOVED THIS NEW YEARS BUNCH...)..... THE WHEELS NEVER STOP TURNING AROUND HERE. AND THIS TIME OF YR I BROOD IN THE HOUSE FOR AT LEAST 2-3 WKS OF AGE THEN IF WEATHER IS MILD THEY GO OUT TO BROODER ROOM IN THE BARN. GRANTED ITS A PAIN IN THE REAR, BUT A NECESSARY EVIL. EVERYONE CUT'S THEIR OWN DEAL IN LIFE AND AROUND HERE ALL THE CONTRACTS CLEARLY STATE "YOU EARN YOUR OWN KEEP, OR YOUR ON THE MENU!" SO THE GIRLS KEEP PLOPPIN THEM OUT AND WHAT DOESNT GET SOLD GETS SET AND USED IN BREEDING OR SOLD AS CHICKS/ JUVIS/ ADULTS OR EATEN.... WHICHEVER COMES 1ST
idunno.gif
THATS THE PROBLEM ONCE YOU GET A 1000LBS+ A MONTH FEED HABIT... SOMEBODY'S GOTTA PAY FOR IT?

ACTUALLY THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR I FOCUS ON COTURNIX... OTHER SEASONS I HAVE BIGGER FISH TO FRY IF YOU WILL AS MY MIGRATORY WATERFOWL AND ORNIMENTAL PHEASANTS ARE SEASONAL BREEDERS AND EAT UP MY EFFORTS WHEN IN SEASON... SO I SELL ALL QUAIL EGGS DURING THOSE MONTHS AND THEN FOCUS ON THESE GUYS IN THE OFF SEASON WHEN THOSE OTHER SPECES ARENT AVAILABLE... COTURNIX AND SCARCE RINGNECKS RIGHT NOW... THE OCCAISIONAL SMALL BATCH OF BOBS AND ANY CHICKEN EGGS THAT HAVENT SOLD. I TRY NOT TO WASTE ANY FERTILE EGGS- IF I CANT SELL THE EGGS I SET THEM AND THEN SELL THE RESULTANT BIRDS THAT HATCH.

THATS MY BUSINESS PLAN AND I'M STICKIN TO IT!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom