January 1, 2011 Quail Hatch Along

18 with one more zipping and 6 more hopefuls. Very colorful bunch. So far all but 2 of the tuxedos that hatched turned out to be tuxedo colored with 2 solid white ones. all three from our batch are brown. I will be real happy if we end up with 25 total from this batch. Just noticed this morning that our incubator lost some temp and had to bump it up. After 4 successful hatches wasnt expecting that. That may have cost us half our batch of eggs. Still got my fingers crossed I still see life in some of the eggs that havent pipped yet.

I had 2 more hatch NY early, but the one didn't make it and one have severe crossed beak and it didn't make it past me once I saw that. So my number stays the same.
Kids took all the freezer campers home with them. Good thing I have more outback.

Hooligan did you babies ever hatch?

Still nothing yet. My fingers are still crossed
fl.gif
This was my last go around with my homemade incubator since I got my Octo now. I have another 20 in it and they should hatch next week.

Hooigan, I think if its been 19 days or more, those first eggs aren't going to do anything. Float test em and see what the results are. Hope your hatch next week goes well. Watch for wiggling eggs.
bun.gif
fl.gif

Jenlyn and jenjscott what's your final numbers. Oh, we need to take some pictures. I'll see if my camera is working, other day it wouldn't transfer to the puter.

Rozzie, I just changed my babies over to a new tub, I think there's at least 33% - 50% Females there. Tomorrow when I change them, I'll do the great quess and put a number to the Females. I need to test my quesses on the Jumbo Browns, so I know what to look for in the Whites. When they are 2-3 weeks old we'll know how many extra Females I have with this hatch.
smile.png
And you can drool.
droolin.gif
gig.gif

Well, I know I have 2M/4F Manchurian Golds. Only 1 extra male, now isn't that a nice ratio.
big_smile.png
bun.gif
jumpy.gif

Drool, schmool! You might have to borrow the star trek transport device thingy and send them my way!

Quote:
I can't find anything right now. Does it look like this?
17739_104_0334.jpg

Na, that's my grain grinder, that I grind the Feed with.

Here's some babies to look at that are 3 and half days old. Yes, that was a clean tub about 5 hours before the pictures were taken.
17739_104_0336.jpg

17739_104_0337.jpg

Now this girl is going to be a breeder. Wonder which male she'll choose and which of the other girls she will choose to hang out with?
17739_104_0338.jpg

Notice, they like it a little cooler this time around. 88*- 90* if I have it higher, they scatter around the waterer away from the light. Just to hot, and seeing they will be going outside to the big brooder, we'll keep them a little cooler and eating.

Ok here is my current report.

I had 55 eggs due to hatch date 17 and 18 would have been Dec 31st and Jan 1st.

The first egg hatched Dec 31st at 8:00pm. Over the next 18 hrs only 6 more hatched.

Last night I had 18 then one died less than an hour after I put it in the brooder. 3 more hatched today, one before I got up and 2 more while I was at work. They dont appear to be very strong. I have 7 more eggs that are pipped that "might" hatch tonight, the rest of the eggs seem lifeless. I got 11 more eggs from my own birds due to hatch on Thursday so I hope I got the bator straighten out. They seem to start hatching more regular once I upped the temp. This is the strangest hatch Ive ever had.

Grand total for right now- 21

I will try to post a video of the babies soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom