January 2017 Hatch-a-long

I will hopefully be setting around a dozen serama eggs tomorrow or Friday. Haven't had to best luck in the past with them but here I go again.
fl.gif

Okay i set 3 dozen and 4 eggs 3days ago and candled them today because one busted. Here is the run down I thought my hens where not laying and when i was messing around in my goat pen found a nest that contained these eggs that is a lot in nest and so i could not tell who was new and who was old put all in incubator. Now the weather the day before was 24 degrees out and the eggs where frozen on the bottom of the nest. Out of the candling there are about 7 with really large air cells that look like they have a small amout of fluid in them. They take up around a 3rd of the egg are these bad eggs i could not find anything about large air cells. some are starting to develop it looks like i will keep yall updated i have read where some people have had luck with frozen eggs and i am waiting for my other eggs to be layed from some i ordered so i though why not.

Okay i set 3 dozen and 4 eggs 3days ago and candled them today because one busted. Here is the run down I thought my hens where not laying and when i was messing around in my goat pen found a nest that contained these eggs that is a lot in nest and so i could not tell who was new and who was old put all in incubator. Now the weather the day before was 24 degrees out and the eggs where frozen on the bottom of the nest. Out of the candling there are about 7 with really large air cells that look like they have a small amout of fluid in them. They take up around a 3rd of the egg are these bad eggs i could not find anything about large air cells. some are starting to develop it looks like i will keep yall updated i have read where some people have had luck with frozen eggs and i am waiting for my other eggs to be layed from some i ordered so i though why not.

I would be suspicious of those with the larger air cell. From what I've read, that indicates an old egg.

I found this link yesterday and found it really helpful. Take a read through all the various days and you should be better armed going into this :) http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/candling-eggs.html

I'm new to BYC and this is my first Hatch-a-Long.

Last night I put seven LF Barred Cochin eggs into the incubator (borrowed a Brinsea Octogon 20 from a good friend) that were shipped from Georgia. Both mom and dad are barred and stunning - see pic. Candled them after a 12 hour rest. Only one seemed pretty loose, but I'm fairly new at hatching so wasn't sure exact what I was looking for. I marked the shells with my initial observations so I can keep track.

This is a third attempt over a four year period. My first try was pretty successful since it was the 'first try"...3 Marans from chocolate eggs given to us at an egg show. What a great experience! I was out of town, but my husband kept calling me and keeping me updated. He was as excited as a little kid. The second attempt was Ameraucana eggs purchased at the Ohio National. None hatched. I think I cooked them. I was using a cheap foam incubator and couldn't get the temperature regulated. Total bummer.

I think I'm looking at a Jan 12/13th hatch date. Praying to the chicken gods for a good turn out this time.
fl.gif

my dw text me and said a big box showed up.

so my bobwhite eggs should be at the house.

will settle them for 24 hours and set them on sunday.

I have 12 EE eggs and 9 bantam eggs due on 1/3/2017 I just candled the other day and it looks really good I threw 2 bantam eggs out cuz the were empty but I have babies in the rest, I am so excited looking forward to this hatch.

Well, the inevitable happened, we have another broody! Lol So, last night she got 12 eggs. I was surprised when I realized which hen she was. She is our largest Buff Orpington, and our oldest, and my largest egg layer, and the very first hen we ever had go broody. She always used to be called Momma by Duke, I have always just called her our original Buff Orpington hen. I officially decided last night that her name is now Buffy. She is an excellent mother, better then all the others (which is saying something, as we have several very good mothers). Buffy is the only hen we have left from our "original" original flock. We also have three Easter Eggers from our first addition to the original flock. The four together are all who survived a dog attack before we bought our house and started our large dual purpose flock. I am looking forward to seeing how she raises these babies in the winter. Her last ones she raised in the summer, and when they hatched, she took them straight into the garden and raised them there, and when they were a couple weeks old she started spending all her time in the field teaching them to forage. She is the top hen, and my favorite. Had I realized who she was before, I would have given her more eggs! Lol

I was looking for some duck eggs and contacted one person off of craigslist she told me she did not have fertile eggs this time of year she just sold eating eggs.  I stopped looking after multiple nos.  The lady contacts me back about a week later and said she has fertile eggs if i am still interested and when i went to get them she had male ducks in with her female because they where actively breeding when i got there. I was kind of iffy after her statement before so i only got one dozen eggs.  I have had them in the incubator for 4 days and they look the same as the did day one.  No development am i candling to soon or are these infertile I have not seen growth in any of them.  I am new to ducks so I would like any advise i could get.  Thank  Yall for your time reading this.

Wait until day 7/8 for candling as it will be a lot clearer, and re candle any that you are unsure about on day 12. I have got 100% hatch rates by having the humidity at around 52% until day 26, and then between 65-70% for lockdown. Please post pics if they hatch- there is nothing cuter than day old ducklings!

If you find that few/none are fertile contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement eggs.

Back
Top Bottom