January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Hello everyone! I'm just checking in for the January hatch-a-long. I have two emu eggs in the incubator... (Their names are Rick and Daryl). I'm hoping for a 60 day hatch and incubating at a little lower of a temperature (96.5-96.8). This puts our hatch date at January 31st. They are impossible to candle so at day 17, I have no idea if they're even developing. I used my stethoscope to listen for heartbeats but I don't hear any... I will continue to post developments as they occur.

I figure I might as well follow along, just in case! My hens seem to be crazy and want to brood in freezing temperatures, so I may get more. The one I have brooding now is on 15 eggs, but they will hatch this month. Every day I am watching for another one to start sitting, that seems to be the trend here, another one every couple weeks, so we'll see. If not, then I will just follow along to see how everything goes, and to see pictures of the chicks. :-D

Last edited:
Well i do not think my quail eggs will make it but i am going to just wait and see as on day one the bator got up to 106 for about an hour. and last night it did it again idk for how long but i dropped the temp and it will stay stedy at 98 i try for 99.5 and it stays there and randomly spikes to 106. But my duck eggs have stayed between 98 and 100 which i think is good for them idk i have never had duck eggs or quails. Wish me luck. maybe i can get one to two quail out of them. the heating element is around the outside and so maybe the once in the middle did not get that high it is still air until tonight when i plug up the fan because i can unplug my turner on my chicken eggs WE GO INTO LOCK DOWN TONIGHT with about 32 with good veins and 6 that hads a chick but no veins, no blood ring, to bad smell, so idk what to do with them i have a small bator that holds 7 i will be moving them to just in case.

Joining the January Hatch-A-Long, because I just discovered that December is the coldest month in our area. Things have to get better. My December hatch is looking a bit sad - one egg from 12 made it to today's lockdown. So, I'm trying again for January.

Waiting for shipped eggs to arrive: this will be a mixed batch of frizzle Cochins and Dark Brahmas. What eggs are you setting, BYC pals?

I candled my 3 of my 42 quail eggs last night and i saw veins in one very small ones but it was only day 3 so things are looking good.

My decemer hatch went to lock down last night

I have not seen any development in my ducks but only day 3

Hello everyone! I'm just checking in for the January hatch-a-long. I have two emu eggs in the incubator... (Their names are Rick and Daryl). I'm hoping for a 60 day hatch and incubating at a little lower of a temperature (96.5-96.8). This puts our hatch date at January 31st. They are impossible to candle so at day 17, I have no idea if they're even developing. I used my stethoscope to listen for heartbeats but I don't hear any... I will continue to post developments as they occur.

Good luck! I'm super exciting to see the little guys!

Joining the January Hatch-A-Long, because I just discovered that December is the coldest month in our area. Things have to get better. My December hatch is looking a bit sad - one egg from 12 made it to today's lockdown. So, I'm trying again for January.

Waiting for shipped eggs to arrive: this will be a  mixed batch of frizzle Cochins and Dark Brahmas.  What eggs are you setting, BYC pals?

I love frizzles, I'm really hoping to add 1 to my flock next year. I set 27 Easter Egger eggs (various hens under an Easter Egger rooster and a Legbar rooster), 4 Bielefelder eggs and 5 Gamefowl eggs from a friend's flock (hopefully all goes well since they had a 2 hour drive and were 1 week old before being placed in the incubator). The EEs and Bielefelders are from our own flock.

I was looking for some duck eggs and contacted one person off of craigslist she told me she did not have fertile eggs this time of year she just sold eating eggs. I stopped looking after multiple nos. The lady contacts me back about a week later and said she has fertile eggs if i am still interested and when i went to get them she had male ducks in with her female because they where actively breeding when i got there. I was kind of iffy after her statement before so i only got one dozen eggs. I have had them in the incubator for 4 days and they look the same as the did day one. No development am i candling to soon or are these infertile I have not seen growth in any of them. I am new to ducks so I would like any advise i could get. Thank Yall for your time reading this.

I'm participating in the NYD hatch too, so I may wind up in both the Dec and Jan hatch. Can't hurt to join another thread to watch everyone's hatches :)

I'll be setting for a Valentine's Day hatch too, barring any "problems" lol. I can't wait to see some babies!

Back
Top Bottom