January 2017 Hatch-a-long

How are you doing with your wonderful assortment of eggs?  Good luck with the Gamefowl. I couldn't get the frizzles, but the Brahmas arrived in very cold weather, so I just don't know how viable they will be.

Aww that's too bad about the frizzles and I'm crossing my fingers on those cold eggs! I found someone near me that has frizzled naked necks so I think I may ask if she sells hatching eggs (I only saw chicks and roosters on her listings). We are now down to 2 Gamefowl eggs. Really hoping they make it and that my husband gets a hen and rooster out of them. This is our 5th attempt at Gamefowl eggs, and not a single chick out of the previous 4 attempts.

So did my candling this morning and I have 2 iffy and 12 that are doing great can't wait we are on lock down now 10 are barnyard mix no clues lol lol and 2 are silky rir crosses :- or maybe silky frizz cochin mix we will see :)

Well after the short wait that seemed like for ever my quail are hatching. I just glanced in and eggs are rocking and saw a few pipped. 40/42 went to lockdown.

Okay so i have ran into a problem yall and i need some help on what to do. I was should have had my second brooder built by now but i have spent the last two weeks in and out of the hospital and have been put on bed rest as my white cell count is very very low. I have 9 baby chickens that are 10days old and now my quail are hatching and i have now where to put them can they go in with my baby chicken they are black star chicks so a larger breed.

Okay so i have ran into a problem yall and i need some help on what to do. I was should have had my second brooder built by now but i have spent the last two weeks in and out of the hospital and have been put on bed rest as my white cell count is very very low. I have 9 baby chickens that are 10days old and now my quail are hatching and i have now where to put them can they go in with my baby chicken they are black star chicks so a larger breed.

It might just be my bad luck, but whenever I try to mix chicks that are more than a week apart in age, the older, larger chicks always pick on the smaller ones. I don't know much about quail tho.
Can you put the new ones in a plastic tote?

Well, we got all prepared for harsh sub-zero temperatures, then the forcast started showing it would only be down to -1°F for one night. Now it is showing -12°F for 2 nights. It changes every day! So, I guess we will be out this evening packing straw under and around the nest boxes after all.

Ok I am in! I set 36 eggs due Jan 7th. Pulled 7 that were infertile, 2 blood rings, have one that looks like it was an early quitter and one that is so weird.... I see a blood ring mid egg but above that I see define movement, not as big as the other eggs embryos but very active, I can't see any veins with this one so who knows. So right now I have 25 that look good going into lockdown tonight

The pic was taken day 1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom