January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Paint...silkie?

Yes. This one is a paint silkie or paint sizzle. Won't know if it's a curly until the feathers start coming in.
1f917.png

Yes. This one is a paint silkie or paint sizzle. Won't know if it's a curly until the feathers start coming in.
1f917.png

How cute and exciting!

I always wonder why they are called paint instead of splash, but I'm sure its something technical with the genetics, like self-blue v lavender.

ETA: I just checked. In paints the entire feather is colored, whereas only the tip is with splash. There's always something new to learn with these chickies lol

Last edited:
How cute and exciting!

I always wonder why they are called paint instead of splash, but I'm sure its something technical with the genetics, like self-blue v lavender.

ETA: I just checked. In paints the entire feather is colored, whereas only the tip is with splash. There's always something new to learn with these chickies lol

Ikr!? Always changing and new colors. Think of paints like Dalmatian chickens. Very clean color break between white feathers and the black spots to the skin

Maybe you guys can help... I'm doing the "dry incubation" method and my humidity has been around 30-40% the first 18 days... So I went on "lockdown" last night at day 18 and filled my water channels (magicfly8) and the humidity has jumped to 83%! How do I get the humidity to stay at 65%? Should I lower the water levels, only filling one channel, and drip water in through the air vent if it gets too low? Does using paper towel in the bator keep the humidity more consistent? tia

I keep relatively low humidity (about35_40%) and only do about 55-65% at lockdown. If you have no external pips, just open the bator for a bit and let the some of the water vapor out. If it's still ridiculously high, use a dry paper towel to soak a bit of the water in your trays up. One trick I use is instead of the trays which take more time to fill, to put sponges soaked in water in the bator. They're fast and easy to "reload" when humidity drops, and pull out if humidity gets too high.

I've got 3 pipped eggs! Sadly, one is at the wrong end...I hope she is a fighter and gets out of that shell. I've helped breach chicks before so I will monitor this little one. Love the chirping from inside their shells, can't wait to see a baby chick emerge! I'm so jealous for everyone else's chicks.

Back
Top Bottom