January 2017 Hatch-a-long

I usually can only tolerate waiting until about 5 months with mine. I waited until 6 months with another so that I could do several at once and the increase in meat was minimal; mainly he just had more fat and got an extra month to be a pain in the butt.

Since most of my birds tend to be bantams, I use them for soup meat. I only get about half a pound of meat per bird. I put 3-5 in the stock pot with water and cook them low and slow for several hours until all the meat falls off. I collect everything out and separate the meat to cook with immediately or freeze. I add the bones back to the pot (sometimes) as well as vegetables like onions, carrots and celery and herbs/seasonings and continue cooking it to make homemade broth, which I also then cook with immediately or freeze.

Is 6 months old a good age to process roos? I will have to have mine processed before they get loud! lol How do you prepare the meat, just like chicken or better for soup?
We do our roos late... 5-6 months. We do slow cook them, so far stove top. And we have shredded the meat into enchiladas, burritos, tacos and soon tamales... oley!
gig.gif
Plus made chicken stock. I'm white and hubby is Korean...
hu.gif
I guess those dishes seem the simplest to us. Well, we did make chicken and dumpling to come to think of it. They were good, but now I remember, my husband like spicy stuff better and he just isn't too into country style dishes, American that is.
tongue.png
My daughter and I plan those kind when he isn't going to be around. And his coworker makes Vietnamese Pho with it.

The age they get loud can vary greatly from breed to breed and the individuals. They also seem to start a little younger if they have other examples. My FBCM started crowing by 16 weeks, while my Faverolles still aren't at almost 24. And my bantam polish barely started crowing at 32+ weeks.

If you aren't processing before that though, have plans to separate boys from girls as it can get very brutal (seemingly) once the boys hit that age where they want to mate!

Some people process everyone at 16 weeks no matter what breed. I haven't tried brining yet, other than Thanksgiving. Seems too much work, but might try in the future.

One reason we processed some late was because life takes it's own turn and you can't predict things like a dislocated elbow... And we were still mentally preparing to take on the worthy task, as well! My point with this one is that there is no perfect age... except what works for you. Of course learning other people's methods and trying this or that to see if it works for you is part of the fun of being here at BYC. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've changed it up. The flock and it's needs are so dynamic... like the weather... roll with it.
wink.png

Sorry, forgot we were talking about hatching for a minute!
hide.gif
But it all ends somewhere.
droolin.gif
big_smile.png

Is 6 months old a good age to process roos? I will have to have mine processed before they get loud! lol How do you prepare the meat, just like chicken or better for soup?

Duel purpose birds (and everyone, I mean everyone has an opinion when is best) depending on the breed, between 16and 24 weeks. If you cook with a pressure cooker, you can make even the toughest older bird's meat tender. The generl rule is too young=mostly bones, too old=tough meat. And somewhere between 16 and 24, they stop gaining weight and it just costs money to feed them. I'm closely monitoring this group because it's the first batch I've done with this type of cross. I'm really hoping it makes some good meat since it's so easy to distinguish the sexes and sell the pullets (IF I could actually hatch some pullets!!
1f615.png
).

We do our roos late... 5-6 months. We do slow cook them, so far stove top. And we have shredded the meat into enchiladas, burritos, tacos and soon tamales... oley!
gig.gif
Plus made chicken stock. I'm white and hubby is Korean...
hu.gif
I guess those dishes seem the simplest to us. Well, we did make chicken and dumpling to come to think of it. They were good, but now I remember, my husband like spicy stuff better and he just isn't too into country style dishes, American that is.
tongue.png
My daughter and I plan those kind when he isn't going to be around. And his coworker makes Vietnamese Pho with it.

The age they get loud can vary greatly from breed to breed and the individuals. They also seem to start a little younger if they have other examples. My FBCM started crowing by 16 weeks, while my Faverolles still aren't at almost 24. And my bantam polish barely started crowing at 32+ weeks.

If you aren't processing before that though, have plans to separate boys from girls as it can get very brutal (seemingly) once the boys hit that age where they want to mate!

Some people process everyone at 16 weeks no matter what breed. I haven't tried brining yet, other than Thanksgiving. Seems too much work, but might try in the future.

One reason we processed some late was because life takes it's own turn and you can't predict things like a dislocated elbow... And we were still mentally preparing to take on the worthy task, as well! My point with this one is that there is no perfect age... except what works for you. Of course learning other people's methods and trying this or that to see if it works for you is part of the fun of being here at BYC. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've changed it up. The flock and it's needs are so dynamic... like the weather... roll with it.
wink.png

Sorry, forgot we were talking about hatching for a minute!
hide.gif
But it all ends somewhere.
droolin.gif
big_smile.png

Duel purpose birds (and everyone, I mean everyone has an opinion when is best) depending on the breed, between 16and 24 weeks. If you cook with a pressure cooker, you can make even the toughest older bird's meat tender. The generl rule is too young=mostly bones, too old=tough meat. And somewhere between 16 and 24, they stop gaining weight and it just costs money to feed them. I'm closely monitoring this group because it's the first batch I've done with this type of cross. I'm really hoping it makes some good meat since it's so easy to distinguish the sexes and sell the pullets (IF I could actually hatch some pullets!!
1f615.png
).
Are you hatching/selling pure Bielfelders? Are they easily discernible at hatch? Wish I could get some Naked Neck Turken.

It's my understanding the hen determines the gender of the chicks. Maybe you have someone throwing all boys?

Are you hatching/selling pure Bielfelders? Are they easily discernible at hatch? Wish I could get some Naked Neck Turken. 

It's my understanding the hen determines the gender of the chicks. Maybe you have someone throwing all boys?

Yes Bieles are autosexing - very easy to discern. I really want to try to start a small flock of them but havent had the greatest luck with shipments. Although, of the eggs that got lost in the mail (they were probably well over 14 days old by the time I got them ) i actually have a pip!!!

Well, my first hatch is over with 4/10. Not great but I'm learning. 2 weren't fertilized, or didn't make it far if they were and 4 made it to lockdown but that's it. We lost power last week and I'm pretty sure that did them in.

I processed my BR Roos around 17 weeks and used the meat for fried chicken, chicken fried rice, soup, and made broth with the bones. I did brine the meat and thought it was delicious.

Last edited:
My Marans chick hatched today, but I lost another backyard mix one today. I think it drowned. I've been having trouble with these last few eggs. I could tell they were not losing moisture fast enough but there's nothing I can do. This one was a very pretty lavender color - a blue Belle they are called overseas. The father was either the blue or splash Marans and the hen is RIR. I am going to set more eggs on the 2nd so I'll collect hers and the Marans' to hatch. My last one is making its way out. It's yellow,too, so it's from the wheaten Marans cockerel. The mother is barred rock. I'll post pics of the two newbies as soon as it's out.

Last edited:
Well, my first hatch is over with 4/10. Not great but I'm learning. 2 weren't fertilized, or didn't make it far if they were and 4 made it to lockdown but that's it. We lost power last week and I'm pretty sure that did them in.

Valliant effort! Every hatch is a new experience - different birds, different shell consistencies, different weather conditions, etc. That's part of the adventure! Have such fun with your new littles!

Back
Top Bottom