January 2020 Hatch along

Pics
20200126_103535.jpg
20200126_103543.jpg
20200126_103555.jpg

What a cute baby! It's difficult not to be sad for it, but you probably already know that visual impairments don't necessarily mean a poor quality of life. From what I can see, it looks like its eyelids didn't develop properly.
By the way it can close its eyes too so they won't dry out. I know the eye is blind because it's cloud white when you shine light at it.

I named it Clops... Short for Cyclops 🙈😂

By the way it can close its eyes too so they won't dry out. I know the eye is blind because it's cloud white when you shine light at it.

I named it Clops... Short for Cyclops 🙈😂
Honestly, I’d consider the eggs from someone else, even local, shipped eggs. There is so much out of your control.

nutrition is a big deal, so it could come from that. I wouldn’t act too intrusive about it, but, I would ask about feed casually, not in relation to “are you feeding poorly for hatching eggs”. Ask more in a way of comparing notes with another chicken keeper, maybe?

I hatched a Brahma this year with one eyelid that was 2/3 or more sealed shut. She was able to see out of the eye but not well. It grew slightly more open as she grew. She has great vision in the other eye, but the affected eye was her far-sighted vision eye. I should have paid more attention to that, as she was taken by a hawk fairly immediately when that brood started to go out on grass. :(

I will say that she was often nervous. Any sort of integration with anything other than her brood mates was fairly difficult, because of her vision problems. It wasn’t even due to the my flocks attitude to her, it was her nervousness that would keep her running and occasionally into things.

I think anything is possible, but to ensure quality of life she would probably need her own pen, maybe even with a buddy from this hatch...

sorry you have had such a stressful experience with these eggs!!!

Honestly, I’d consider the eggs from someone else, even local, shipped eggs. There is so much out of your control.

nutrition is a big deal, so it could come from that. I wouldn’t act too intrusive about it, but, I would ask about feed casually, not in relation to “are you feeding poorly for hatching eggs”. Ask more in a way of comparing notes with another chicken keeper, maybe?

I hatched a Brahma this year with one eyelid that was 2/3 or more sealed shut. She was able to see out of the eye but not well. It grew slightly more open as she grew. She has great vision in the other eye, but the affected eye was her far-sighted vision eye. I should have paid more attention to that, as she was taken by a hawk fairly immediately when that brood started to go out on grass. :(

I will say that she was often nervous. Any sort of integration with anything other than her brood mates was fairly difficult, because of her vision problems. It wasn’t even due to the my flocks attitude to her, it was her nervousness that would keep her running and occasionally into things.

I think anything is possible, but to ensure quality of life she would probably need her own pen, maybe even with a buddy from this hatch...

Oh and I’ve had a couple pip and not hatch, only from shipped eggs. Like 2 out of 150 shipped eggs or so that made it to lockdown this year. They can pip externally prior to absorbing any yolk. I really think there’s a potential issue with absorbing the yolk in shipped eggs, transported eggs, or eggs that you didn’t handle the entire time.

This is the first time I've had problem with this farm and their eggs. I've hatched several from them.

I'm going to keep it till it's 12 weeks old and we will decide then what we will do. It might not even make it till 12 weeks.

This actually isn't from the free eggs and aren't the eggs that are stressing me the heck out. Those free eggs are making me want to rip my hair out 😂

My husband is laughing at the name. He said he knew I'd come up with the best name for a one eyed chicken. If it's a rooster it could be One Eyed Jack 😂😂😂 making myself laugh is the only thing that's keeping me sane with this free egg fiasco.

NONE of the free eggs have even hatched yet and I'm scared to see what comes out of them! That chick that externally pipped and died was so cute too!

Congrats you guys.. :D

And @FortCluck , I'm truly sorry about your chick and eggs.. Whatever happens, just hope for the best, and hope you're well.
I woke up to 5 black chicks in the brooder. My husband moved them in there before he went to work. One just hatched while I was in the room the incubator and brooder are in. Looks like several are externally pipped.

I started with 45 eggs and I think I ended up with 35. Some are not hatching until a few weeks from now and those are my farms eggs so I should get good results from those.

Looks like the free eggs were mixed with my rehomed boy Sid. He's a black jersey giant just like Squatch.

Oh and I’ve had a couple pip and not hatch, only from shipped eggs. Like 2 out of 150 shipped eggs or so that made it to lockdown this year. They can pip externally prior to absorbing any yolk. I really think there’s a potential issue with absorbing the yolk in shipped eggs, transported eggs, or eggs that you didn’t handle the entire time.
Wow.. sounds like shipped eggs are just.. no good in that sense. Who really knows though. You never know how the previous owners even handled the eggs or care for their flock either. I'd still like to give shipped eggs a try some time. (Only because i cant find the breed locally) but i guess we will see. I do hope that your future with shipped eggs is a lot better than that though :\ I'd be really upset.

Back
Top Bottom