January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
It’s with the other eggs and is the same age. I just forgot about it and when I candled the other eggs under the broody I didn’t see it. The development looks good, I’m just not sure how to handle the saddled air cell. I want to give it the best chances, if that means leaving it alone with the broody then that’s what I’ll do.
It's impossible to say definitively but the air cells grow and change so much during those last few hours when they draw/dip down. I would just make a note that this one is a odd ball. And leave it alone for the remainder of the hatch. I think you'll either have a chick or late quitter/DIS. I can't think of anything that would sway the odds in your favor. Maybe someone else might. 🤷‍♀️

I love your incubator. Super fancy. How do you like it? I think you have a couple hatches under your belt with it.

What is your green thermometer? Did it come with the incubator? The ones I use are on flimsy plastic. They're accurate but getting rather old. I'd definitely look into one like this when the time comes for replacements. Looks solid.

The incubator is a Borotto and great, and it is the best I have had up until now. The green thermometer is an outdoor one, made by EcoSavers that I found on Amazon.

Fully loaded! One Marans eggs is cracked on the bottom. Disinfected and repaired it. Two other have completely detached, rolling, air cells. I have those upright in cartons. :fl
IMG_20210110_095853566.jpg IMG_20210110_095813353.jpg

@wolfwalker Are you hatching today?

I"ve got some pipping going on from this afternoon. I ended up setting Welsummer eggs from my flock as I could not make it up to pick up eggs from the breeders in Phoenix (Their issue). I will be going up this coming Saturday to pick up eggs. hopefully 3 - 4 dozen Aloha and 2 dozen White Ameraucana is what I am supposed to pick up from 3 different breeders. And I hope to soon have Aloha eggs shipped in from Texas too, just waiting on hearing back on postage charge so I can paypal money to her.

I"ve got some pipping going on from this afternoon. I ended up setting Welsummer eggs from my flock as I could not make it up to pick up eggs from the breeders in Phoenix (Their issue). I will be going up this coming Saturday to pick up eggs. hopefully 3 - 4 dozen Aloha and 2 dozen White Ameraucana is what I am supposed to pick up from 3 different breeders. And I hope to soon have Aloha eggs shipped in from Texas too, just waiting on hearing back on postage charge so I can paypal money to her.

My hand is getting itchy to start up my incubator, but I want the Aloha egg's to come from from another place for genetic diversity in mine. Would you mind letting me know the source so that I can get some also? You can message me here at this site with any info. The chick's that I bought from Sommer still have a long way before the pullets will give me egg's to hatch.

My hand is getting itchy to start up my incubator, but I want the Aloha egg's to come from from another place for genetic diversity in mine. Would you mind letting me know the source so that I can get some also? You can message me here at this site with any info. The chick's that I bought from Sommer still have a long way before the pullets will give me egg's to hatch.
Sure. After I pick them up, so I know that they can be had, I will do so.

Yay I have development in at least one egg I put in for my experiment so far! I’m just wanting to see what the chicks will look like from this cross, and apparently I can’t wait to fire up the incubator even though it’s early January and I still have like 2.5-3 months of winter to go. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom