January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Late to the party as I always am with hatch-a-longs but I've got a dozen pretty little eggs in the incu at the moment. Theyll likely hatch either the last day of January or the first two of February. These are going to be sold to friends who have been wanting chicks but didn't want to risk the dead-chick-in-a-box issue with hatcheries. Barred/EExBarred and Black Sexlink/EExBarred. View attachment 2479675
Also, the lone chick who hatched from the november hatch-a-long and popped out about a week early.. she's still a runt but is a ball of fire and spite. She has some wonky toes (weird curly deal when she walks and sometimes they are curled toward the center or outward at a strange angle when she stands.) probably from hatching prematurely. You can see one curly toe on the foot closest in this picture. Doesn't slow her down at all though! Shes a quick little thing.
View attachment 2479679
Im with you, my eggs are due on February 2nd!

I set ....8 mottled orpingtons, 7 opal leg bars and (6 Hedemoras ---> these were shipped from far so not high hopes) but Ill post updates! Currently on day 6 :D

Last edited:
Im with you, my eggs are due on February 2nd!

I set ....8 mottled orpingtons, 7 opal leg bars and (6 Hedemoras ---> these were shipped from far so not high hopes) but Ill post updates! Currently on day 6 :D
The earliest mine could hatch is the 28th, but they may be delayed due to the cold weather out here lately. I'm on day 11 currently. The friend who was supposed to buy the chicks recently backed out.... So I may be keeping some of them for my own flock! No harm no foul, maybe some fun new hens and a little extra income.

First chick of the year! From pip to zip in about 13 hours, day 20. No other eggs are even pipped yet. This one is precocious.

Welcome to the world little one!

IMG_20210118_133646961.jpg IMG_20210118_134159097.jpg IMG_20210118_134242911.jpg IMG_20210118_134559698.jpg

'SF' is out, getting its turn of snuggling the stuffie while drying. 😃

20210118_141559.jpg

I was kind of expecting the bantam to be first, so it's kind of weird that it's now the last one (albeit not much difference with only three potential chicks). I candled again and it looks like the chick might just need to finishing absorbing the yolk and blood before it continues. Hopefully doesn't turn out to need assistance.

The outlook for tomorrow’s hatch is not looking very good.
I’ve been checking temp and humidity every two hours today, and just noticed a huge temp spike, up to 110, maybe higher, I didn’t note the exact temp before trying to fix it.
Come to find out the lid some how shorted out, and was running at high and would not turn off. At all. So thankfully I found it now before I went to bed. I replaced the lid with another incubator top and am now hoping that this incident didn’t cook the chicks suppose to hatch in the next day or two.
I’ve seen some posts about young embryos being cooked at high temps, but didn’t see anyone experience spikes with 20 day old eggs to know if their chance of survival is low or not. (These eggs, first they nearly froze from the power outage, now they’ve been cooked! :eek:)

The outlook for tomorrow’s hatch is not looking very good.
I’ve been checking temp and humidity every two hours today, and just noticed a huge temp spike, up to 110, maybe higher, I didn’t note the exact temp before trying to fix it.
Come to find out the lid some how shorted out, and was running at high and would not turn off. At all. So thankfully I found it now before I went to bed. I replaced the lid with another incubator top and am now hoping that this incident didn’t cook the chicks suppose to hatch in the next day or two.
I’ve seen some posts about young embryos being cooked at high temps, but didn’t see anyone experience spikes with 20 day old eggs to know if their chance of survival is low or not. (These eggs, first they nearly froze from the power outage, now they’ve been cooked! :eek:)
My experience with temp spikes late in incubation is extremely negative. I don't have number but it's usually bad news with limited survivors. They are quite sensitive to heat since they're already making their own in the shell.
However you don't know how long the spike lasted. It could be it wasn't that long or maybe there's a cool spot some of the eggs were in. Definitely don't give up. Have you candle to check for movement? Or just letting it ride.

Back
Top Bottom