January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Meant to update last night while the hatch was in full swing, but we had a cat-related disaster
By which I mean, my cat decided he wanted chicken dinner and knocked the incubator on the floor while I was running errands, during which two chicks got tossed onto the cold wood floor, two eggs were totally smashed (early quitters thankfully), and four of my about-to-hatch eggs died from blood loss and blunt force trauma from hitting the ground.
Luckily! We managed to do an emergency aided hatch and save three unhatched chicks, plus the two near-dead babies that were laying on the floor when I returned home.
We also got a surprise light-colored chick, and I'm not sure i understand where she came from, considering these are BR X EE/BR and BR X EE/BSL cross eggs. Strange coloring aside, shes a little beauty and had a wonderfully strong hatch.

(Those are hot rice socks for extra warmth and a damp towel for when we had to get the incubator back up and running FAST)
View attachment 2506042
I can't even imagine. What carnage. So glad you were able to save some.

I can't even imagine. What carnage. So glad you were able to save some.
Saved 7 of the viable 12, unfortunately a few didn't make it. A few were very close calls.

So.. in happy news, have a picture of the seven survivors in a little basket!
20210128_183707.jpg

New digs for these littles. I think they're about a week old now.

This was super exciting for me because I bought a new stock tank exclusively for a brooder. Just need to make a kid+critter proof top for it. But I'm still super happy after years of plastic bins, cardboard boxes, tarps and plywood. I used a stock tank last year and knew it would be a must by for future hatching.
IMG_20210128_192314348.jpg

Last edited:
Overdue for an update.. Most of the 2nd batch of 14 eggs hatched out on Tuesday . One was a late quitter, and two needed a partial assist. So 13 out of 14 eggs that went to lockdown hatched! ~92% hatch rate... not bad for eggs that went to 7 different postal facilities on their way to me before setting them in my test incubator. I was going to sell these...but I may end up hoarding these lil cuties. They are so sweet! One of them calls for me almost every hour when I go to the other room to work from home ! I guess that "let the baby cry sometimes" may work for other animals too ... no? I think these may be sex linked...the ones with the light brown cast are female and the yellow with a black stripe on the head may be cockerels. So if I'm right, maybe 10 pullets and 3 cockerels(?)...these were a New Hampshire Red and Plymouth Rock cross. Or if I'm wrong and it's the other way, 10 cockerels and 3 pullets :eek: !

chicks1.JPG
chicks2close.JPG

Meant to update last night while the hatch was in full swing, but we had a cat-related disaster
By which I mean, my cat decided he wanted chicken dinner and knocked the incubator on the floor while I was running errands, during which two chicks got tossed onto the cold wood floor, two eggs were totally smashed (early quitters thankfully), and four of my about-to-hatch eggs died from blood loss and blunt force trauma from hitting the ground.
Luckily! We managed to do an emergency aided hatch and save three unhatched chicks, plus the two near-dead babies that were laying on the floor when I returned home.
We also got a surprise light-colored chick, and I'm not sure i understand where she came from, considering these are BR X EE/BR and BR X EE/BSL cross eggs. Strange coloring aside, shes a little beauty and had a wonderfully strong hatch.

(Those are hot rice socks for extra warmth and a damp towel for when we had to get the incubator back up and running FAST)
View attachment 2506042
Ack! Glad you were able to save some of them at least. I was fortunate in that my hatch last year I just knew that cat access would be a disaster so I closed off the incubator in our spare bedroom. My motto is "if a disaster can happen, it will happen," at least to me. Gotta head 'em off at the pass :) .

Back
Top Bottom