january hatch-a-long

Pics
Thought I'd ask. Before, thought you were referring to birds, not to eggs, too. I agree, our temps here in NC are all over the place right now, too. Was a very frost 23* on Christmas...

I see a "gently used" Little Giant for sale for $20 in a town about 40 miles from us that our daughter/family lives in. Hmm, ideas, ideas...

When eggs are "rested" after collecting - which end is supposed to be up? The wider or the narrower pointed end? So far, every egg I've collected has been fertile - these haven't been eaten yet... (the one 55 Flowery Hen egg is pretty dirty, though).

View attachment 1626035

Can you incubate a duck egg with the others? I've never gotten one this clean before! Hope to get one first thing tomorrow morning, too.

I do also sell some of my older fully feathered pullets from my flock after I grow them out, but I don't ship.

I always put the eggs in the carton small end down. I think that other's have incubated other type of poultry eggs in with chicken eggs. I haven't though. I only have and do the chicken's.

Finally got to Candling day, 11 eggs rejected and a few more I was not certain about, I will candle again in 2 days to verify. All but one of my Seramas were rejected for being infertile, the one not rejected was from my Hen who just started laying, it was her first egg. I believe my older Serama Hen just isn't going to be a mother. All but one of my Dorking X Red Rangers were fertile and looking healthy. I can't tell if my Marans are fertile or not because my Candler is too weak. I will need to design one that works off a bright lightbulb. A few of my Dorking's developed but have the single blood line, and a couple did not develop at all. So down to 31 out of 42 eggs now.

Day 7 of 17 on my 30 myshire eggs....i candled last night and while it’s difficult to tell for sure there were only a couple that looked possible infertile. the rest seemed to have veining and air cell development. will candle again at lockdown and possibly 1 more time around day 10-12. all 7 december babies doing well. they’ve all got wing feathers and starting to sprout tail feathers!!! We had to go out of town for a couple of days and I was worried sick the entire time but all my babies were doing well when I returned home last night. Hubby decided to give my little Gimpy his scratch treat for the first time since the babies went in the brooder and the EEs and the barred rock chick were all over it so I guess I may have to add a bit of chick grit to the brooder this week.

Back
Top Bottom