Japanese Bantam Thread!

Can you not keep the cockerels where you live?

For me I like the cockerels the best!!! They have the beautiful colours and that's why I keep this breed.

The will not fight if you house them all together in a large run.. or free range them.....

Just don't put any hens in with them!!!!
I can keep them, but not all are show quality and there is no way I need that many cockerels running around. We also have Seramas and our layer flock. We are keeping the two best SQ cockerels.

Here's one that's a little better, but he still wasn't even crowing at this point. (He was just starting the strangling sound.
smile.png
) I really DO need to update my pics now that the ground isn't frozen!
I need knew pics too. Lowrider still has the gargling crow and he's a;most 3. One of my neighbors loves his crow. LOL Thank goodness, cause he could have said it was irritating. Do these eBay sellers have SQ stock? I need that or at least BQ.

I got three dozen eggs from a breeder. 27 hatched. 24 of them are cockerels!!!!!!
rant.gif
We made the final culls yesterday and will be keeping a gray cockerel, a mottled cockerel, and the three pullets. Now to find homes for 22 cockerels...............
OMG! I've so been there. Thankfully I live 2 blocks from a poultry auction. LOL

Hello
Could you tell me which color are this chicks (japanese bantam)?
Black Mottled. They start off yellow with maybe a black spot here and there, then the feathers start coming in white, with black splotches and then the black takes over and the white becomes the freckling. I love watching mine feather in. They're really cool to watch with all the changes.

I need knew pics too. Lowrider still has the gargling crow and he's a;most 3. One of my neighbors loves his crow. LOL Thank goodness, cause he could have said it was irritating. Do these eBay sellers have SQ stock? I need that or at least BQ.

OMG! I've so been there. Thankfully I live 2 blocks from a poultry auction. LOL 

Black Mottled. They start off yellow with maybe a black spot here and there, then the feathers start coming in white, with black splotches and then the black takes over and the white becomes the freckling. I love watching mine feather in. They're really cool to watch with all the changes.

Wolftracks, my roo has very long legs for a Japanese, so I don't think this breeder has SQ stock. We don't show, and we wanted a gentle rooster. He sure is that! He's clucking to our pullets and showing them where the goodies are. He's so cute!

Got this chick from the animal shelter. They thought it was a Delaware because of the coloring but now I'm pretty sure, judging from pictures that this is a female BTW Japanese bantam. Am I right or am I in denial? We got "her" the first day of April and the shelter thought because of feathers that "she" was possibly 3 weeks. Thoughts on age? I am very very new to chickens.

He's probably about a t 7 to 8 weeks old cockerel. The Comb and Wattle growth is the tell tale sign. Pullets usually don't show much growth in those areas until they become fairly old.
D.gif

Thanks for the input. The pictures on the rock wall were after I had already had it for 9 weeks. How old would you guess it was in the picture with the red dish in the blue bin?

Back
Top Bottom