Japanese Bantam Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Jan 16, 2010.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Also, is it hard to breed the SQ mottled. I know somebody is going to say that this question does not make any sense, but what I mean is like SQ black is easy, you get an all black bird and the color is good, but is splash allot more complicated to get good color, or are there variations? Because I've seen completely different patterns of mottled being shown, in pictures.

2. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    I have my standard at home
    but there is an exact # of "dots' in certain areas.

All I know is that they get more white as they age. So the older ones dont show well.
    I have one older gal that she has a lot of white on her now- she is 2-3 yrs old.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The mottled is hard to get without too much white. The biggest problem is too much white in the feathers, usually showing up in the tail and wings. Single colors are easier.

Actually you can show anything under other variety, but a non standard color cannot win more than best of variety. This is how they show colors while trying to get them put in the standard. Blue tailed whites were just accepted into the standard last year.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Ok, thanks.

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Hi! Someone gave us 2 Jap chicks and one turned out to be a white cockerel and 1 turned out to be a black tail buff pullet. Can anyone tell me what color chicks we might get from breeding these two? We love them and the little guy is quite the gentleman (but maybe not the smartest...). They are a wonderful breed. We might need to add a few more colors!

6. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Not for sure, but I think if the white is recessive you'll get all black, if the white is dominant you'll get all white.

7. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking. So that should be a fun experiment in genetics!

8. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    i bred a white and a btw and got one that was more columbian looking so who knows. it was mostly white - with light black arround the neck and tail area

9. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Of course, if you haven't had the line in your care for several years, there's no telling what genetics might be hiding behind those colors.

10. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    [​IMG]
    This is tokyo. I got him from McMurray Hatchery and he is 7 months old in this photo. Does he have quality feathering even for hatchury stock.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by